Friday, December 08, 2023

Christmas things

I'm really enjoying the Christmas tree, partly because of the two nativity scenes I have; both of them have a story.


 My mother was a people person.  Through the sixties, she was an Avon lady, one of the most successful ones in the surrounding area, winning prizes sometimes for her salesmanship.  When she no longer put up Christmas trees and decorations, she gave these to me.  I added the shepherd, sheep, donkey, and cow that I found at Walmart.  

I wasn't an easy teenager to have around the house;  it wasn't that I did anything harmful or awful except that I thought I knew everything and had a mouth on me that should have been smacked daily.  I never really thought about or realized then how much others loved and admired her.  She was welcomed by her customers and often seemed to serve as confessor and psychologist for them, as well as a friend.  A lady in or near Blue Springs made most of this nativity set, starting with the two camels (it's difficult to make both of them out in this picture) and the Holy Family.  I decided I should know the name of the person who made them, so late in her life I asked Mother for her name and wrote it on the underneath of one of the camels.  I know nothing about the woman except her name:  Brenda Tuttle.

So this reminds me of my mother, a friend to all who knew her.  I didn't appreciate or even think about it when I was living with my parents, but I look back now and wish I hadn't been such a brat.

Tomorrow, my other nativity set... a newer model. 

7 comments:

  1. I had a very large set very like this. The standing figures are 9 inches tall. It is huge and takes up a lot of space. Just this year, I gave it to my oldest daughter so that she can make memories of it with her son. One day, I hope it can be passed down to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have inherited a few nativity scenes over the years as well. Perhaps someday they will be passed onto one of my kids. I haven't thought of Avon ladies in quite awhile. In my generation, they were often joked about but looking back, it was probably mostly from ignorance since a lot of farm wives of that time couldn't afford such luxuries. The Amway men were also joked about.

    After mom died, she didn't want a funeral or any sort of remembrance. We ended up compromising by putting out an open invitation a year after her death, for all those who knew her and wanted to, to join us at our farm for a "weenie roast" get together. I fought back tears seeing all those cars rolling down our 1/8 mile driveway. We never know how respected they were until they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having someone make this especially for you makes it special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my mom felt it was special. Lots of her customers gave her things around Christmas.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely Nativity set. I've never seen a white-haired Joseph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I understand the story I just Googled, Catholics have a tradition that says Joseph was "an old man, but young in vigor" and he had children from a wife who died.

      Delete
  5. I loved my Avon lady--such a sweet and gentle person. I didn't think about how hard the job would be, interacting with customers all the time and trying to encourage them to buy something. I would be terrible at it! I used to have some creches but I have no idea where they went.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!