Saturday, December 09, 2023

My inner child

When Cliff  and I were taking care of Cora, I spent a lot of the money her parents paid us for Little People things:  Cora and I had a farm with a barn and fences and Little People animals, and a house for Little People to live in.  There was a hog-house with mud-puddle for the swine to cool off in.  I have no idea how much I spent on Little people things.  Cora never asked for any of it, but when I played with her down on the floor, I was imagining how much I would have enjoyed it when I was her age.  At some point I had to admit that I was buying all that for myself, not Cora... although she did enjoy it with me.  

I found a good home for the Little People things when Cora got to an age where she was about ready to leave us for kindergarten and was really too old for those kinds of toys; but I held on to one of the last Little People assortments I had purchased... a Little People nativity set.  

I had almost forgotten about it until I had the Christmas tree decorated this week; when I remembered it, I had to think about what I did with it and finally recalled I had put it in a cabinet on the back porch, in its original box.  When I got it out to put under the tree, I saw batteries I had taken out four years ago and dropped in the box, and I couldn't even think what they were for.  I had forgotten my favorite thing about this set!  I listen to it every morning now and smile, because it makes me feel like I've gone back to my childhood when Santa was real and gifts were coming.  It is my favorite Christmas item, and I had hidden it all this time in a cabinet, totally forgotten.  It will always remind me of my inner child that got to live again, thanks to a beautiful little girl who played with this old woman for awhile.




7 comments:

  1. There's a child in almost all of us and it never fades. I remember all of the toys and things that mesmerized me as a child - - including a nativity that my parents had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Little People Nativity set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m now not just a little child sometimes ima cry baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a Little People nativity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post, Donna. If ever was a time to look for our inner child, it is now, at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was delighted to find my German caroler set although I wasn't a child when I got it. It was several decades ago though so putting it out made me happy. What a treasure that nativity is! It must bring back wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! There are little children's things that I love too. I think most of us have an inner child buried in our soul somewhere. Christmas is the best time for it to come out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!