Thursday, December 14, 2023

Chex Mix

I've enjoyed eating Chex mix several times over the years:  Cliff's brother's wife makes it around Christmas, and my oldest granddaughter makes her mother's family recipe.  Until yesterday, though, I had never made it myself.  I knew, from looking at the recipe on the Chex boxes, that it would be easy to make,  and I liked it OK, although I have been accused of picking all the nuts out of it and leaving the cereal for others, a time or two.

My granddaughter was here Sunday and I asked her for her mother's recipe.  Here it is, in all its glory.  


Unfortunately, it doesn't tell the amount of most of the dry  ingredients to use, and I was a little scared of the amount of butter.  Also, our trash bags are scented inside, so I wouldn't want to use any of my trash bags for something I'm going to eat.

 So I began looking around the Internet and found a version that had cheesy ingredients in it.  The lady sharing the recipe also said to put as much of any single dry ingredient as I wanted:  "You can alter the amounts for any of the dry ingredients to your own personal taste - as long as the total number of cups remains between 24-28."

Well in that case, how can I lose?  You'll find that recipe HERE, although I  didn't use nearly as many Cheetos or cheese balls as this says.

I added too many nuts even for me, which I wouldn't have thought was possible, but now I know.  Also, I have a grandson living next door who isn't a fan of some kinds of nuts and he has to go to all the trouble to take them out.  I forgot to use the pretzels I had, and didn't even know where to get Pepperidge Farms Snack Sticks.  I looked at a different recipe online that said to add oyster crackers and cheese flavored goldfish, which worked great.  Oh yes, and some Cheerios.  I simply made sure I had 24 to 28 cups of the dry ingredients altogether.

I ate some for breakfast a while ago.  After all, there's breakfast cereal in it, and nuts for protein:  The perfect breakfast!  Well, except for the Cheetos... 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:17 AM

    This is Diane @Diane's Place. I love Chex mix but it's only me around here now, and it's too much of a temptation to keep it here so I'd have to give nearly all of it away. It does make great gifts though and most of my family like it. I have made it and packaged it for Christmas gifting in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know lots of people who give it for gifts.

      Delete
  2. I prefer not to be around such creations as I can and will sit down and eat WAY more than is proper of healthy. Fortunately, I don't crave such things either so it isn't much of an issue unless someone else makes it and gives it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with unscented trash bags, I'm not sure I would mix the stuff in them. I personally would probably get one of those plastic storage tubs and do it in that after washing it thoroughly with hot soapy water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the nuts. I’d be picking them out and Cliff would be scolding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beauty of Chex mix is that you can make it any way that suits you. My recipe (mostly for camping) called for a variety of Chex, mixed nuts, pretzels, lots of butter, Worchestershire sauce and Johnny's seasoning. Although I love rye chips, there were none in there (I don't think?) and nothing cheesy. Next time I make it, I'll modify my recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of cheesy Chex mix before. That's probably a good thing, because if it was around I'd be eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!