Sunday, December 03, 2023

Sunday Stealing

1. if someone wanted to really understand you, what would they read, watch, and listen to?  They would read "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine"; why?  "Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions"  What would they watch or listen to? I don't know.

2. have you ever found a writer who thinks just like you? if so, who?  Not really, although lots of writers are interested in some of the things I am interested in.  I like to read about people who struggle with themselves or have had a hard time conforming to people.  I seldom read any book of fiction about rich people, royalty, and so forth.

3. do you care about your ethnicity?  I hope this comes across the way I mean it:  I'm glad I am white simply because we don't have the struggles other people have in this country.  We can get away with a lot more because of the prejudices of others.  It's safer to be white. 

4. what musical artists have you most felt connected to over your lifetime?  Dolly Parton.  She started out so poor, and she has never forgotten it.

5. are you an artist?  That's a laugh.  No, I am not

6. dog person or cat person?  I like both, but if I had to choose one or the other, it would be a dog.

7. inside or outdoors?  I've always been an outdoor person.  As a child, all my playtime was outside if the weather permitted it.  However, at my age, I do like the comfort inside my house where I am content, also.  There will never be peace over all the earth, but if you're lucky you can have peace in your home.  

8. five most influential books over your lifetime: The Bible.  I'm sure I heard it read from birth, then learned more about it in Sunday School.  I still read it every morning.  The Little House books; I often thought of the first years of my marriage on our twenty acres as my Little House years... gardening, milking cows, baking bread and canning fruits and veggies.  Black Beauty because I wanted a horse so badly... but I didn't get one until my Little House years.  Following Atticus, because that's what made me get my Schnauzer puppy, Gabe.  He's my best buddy except for my  husband.    
.
9. would you rather be in Middle Earth, Narnia, Hogwarts, or somewhere else?  I'll pass.  I don't read books or watch many movies that deal with talking animals, magic, and so forth.  I got all that out of my system as a kid, reading my Hans Christian Anderson storybook.

10. list the top five things you spend the most time doing, in order.  Probably being on the computer, reading books, cooking and washing dishes (I got rid of my dishwasher some time ago), gardening in the summer.  Whatever I'm doing, I enjoy my dog and he is right with me wherever I am.

11. have you ever felt like you had a “mind-meld” with someone?  Not really.  If I did have a friend who thought like me, I probably couldn't stand her.  It's hard to get along with someone who has all your own faults.
 
12. could you live as a hermit?  Oh yes!  My husband has always told me I could get along without people just fine.  I would just  as soon keep him around though.  

13. do you feel like your outside appearance is a fair representation of the “real you”?  Definitely!  I do not "dress up"

14. three songs that you connect with right now.  Hard Times (Come again no more), Coat of Many Colors, and Me and Bobby McGee.

15. pick one of your favorite quotes.  "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."  Henry David Thoreau 

6 comments:

  1. The quote is so true.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit it with the three songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote! Eleanor Oliphant was one of my favorite books--so touchingly painful yet beautiful too. I've known several people like her, so I could relate. I'm an outdoors person too but still enjoy the fire, a hot coffee and relaxing inside during the winter. I think I go a little into hibernation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your response re: ethnicity is refreshingly honest and on point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite quote is also by Henry Thoreau: 'It is not enough to be busy. The question is what are we busy about?'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy with my ethnicity. It's who I am. I just never thought to be other than I am.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!