Saturday, December 23, 2023

Fairy tales

I suppose I was about eight years old when I was given a great big book of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales for Christmas.  I've fairly certain it was from my sister and her husband.  I wonder if children still read fairy tales these days.   A lot of the tales were downright scary!  Some were sad, some were funny, and some would scare me to death.  I read some of them over and over, and avoided others.  Here I am, 79 years old, remembering the book my sister gave me for Christmas.  

I remember only parts of most of the stories.  I got to thinking about that book this morning when, for some reason, one came to mind about a princess on a glass mountain, one of my favorite stories in the book.  Whoever could ride a horse to the top of the glass mountain would get to marry the princess.

Often I do a google search to find out what the whole story is, because I don't remember the details, and then I realize why I liked it.  You'll find a synopsis of the Glass Mountain HERE, if you're interested.  Now I know why I was so fond of this one:  one of the characters was a young man who sat in the ashes (??) and his brothers made fun of him (sort of like a male Cinderella).  At the end, though, that young man won the princess.  And yes, I liked Cinderella, too.  Those stories made me happy.

Some of those stories scared me.  I read them all, but if they were scary or sad, I didn't read them as often.  The saddest one was The Little Match Girl, which I both liked and hated, all at the same time.  She freezes to death and dies at the end.  I could almost feel the cold winter air, on the few times I found the courage to read it again.  It almost makes me shiver even now.

One of my favorites was about a man who claimed to kill seven with one blow... in the end, he gets a princess.  There must have been lots of princesses in Fairytale Land.  Remember the Princess and the Pea?  Yes, another favorite.  I always liked happy endings.    


I understood those were only made-up stories, but the scary ones still frightened me.  I imagine in this day and age, a lot of parents wouldn't want their children to read something that would scare them to death, but I think the stories were good for me.  I learned that some things that scare me aren't even real; they're just a figment of my imagination. 

I always got a lot of Christmas gifts, but that book, although it must have gotten tossed out by the time I was twelve, is still a part of me.  I remember favorite gifts from other childhood Christmases: a metal barn with fences and farm animals, a certain doll, a wooden snow sled.  But none of those has stayed with me like Hans Christian Andersen's fairytales.  Maybe that's the reason I still like to read so much.

13 comments:

  1. I loved reading fairy tales when I was young, I read all of Andersen as well as the Grim brother fairly tales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Rebecca H here; yes, I remember having that book as well. I wonder what happened to mine. I read it quite a bit too. Those were the stories, I believe, that to a certain degree taught character lessons to children: how to act or not act, how to empathize...etc. Maybe more kids should read those stories and be scared silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being terrified of The Three Billy Goats Gruff and Hansel and Gretel so I never read those to my children. I don't know how much is too much with kids. My son-in-law was reading a story to my 3 1/2 year old grandson and the mom dies or has died in it. Cue him asking, "Is my mommy going to die?" My SIL teared up and couldn't answer so my daughter had to carefully answer his question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at a ladies day at a church in my town. They had a meal and a speaker. I took my grandson, Arick, with me, since I was watching him at the time. He was four or five years old. He got restless just sitting around, so I took him outside and we walked around in the graveyard. He wanted to know what the gravestones were. I explained to him that when people die, their spirits go to heaven and their body is buried because their spirit isn't in their bodies any more. He said, "Are you going to die?" Oh boy. I told him that most people get old and tired , and they don't mind dying so much because they can rest and won't feel tired any more. There was a pause, and then he said, "But Grandma, you're old!"
      I was still in my 40's and had no idea he thought I was old! I told him I would probably not die for a long, long time.

      Delete
    2. Oh, dear, kids can't judge age at all. (even my teenage students weren't good at it) That's about what my daughter told my grandson--that everyone dies but that she hopes it will be a long time away when she's very, very old.

      Delete
  4. I had a book that was my mother's when she was a child, and it was a daily story from the realm of the fairies. I loved that book, mostly because bad people always got their comeuppance from the fairies. Would that it worked that way in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my library having thick books of fairy tales. Each one was from a different country. Eventually I checked out and read all of them, and yes some were very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:18 AM

    My great aunt Margie gave my sister and me a huge book of Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales. We read the stories in our books constant; This is Margie from Margie's Musings..not Anonymous!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:21 AM

    I am not anonymous but I am Margie from Margie's Musings. My comments about the books my great aunt Margie gave me and my sister were not published here. Maybe because I am not registered as margie. If that is true,I think that is pitiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:28 AM

    This is Margie from Margie's Musings. I have worked my blog since 2008. Now suddenly my comments don't show up Instead I am supposed to be "Anonymous" for some reason..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before you start to write a comment, look for a drop-down menu that gives you the choice of typing in with your Google account or your name or just anonymous. You are the only one that can choose that; I have nothing to do with it.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:09 PM

    Our 9 year old daughter reads fairy tales and though some are a bit scary, she loves them. Our 6 year old son isn't quite able to read them on his own, but he does enjoy having them read to him. We allow them to choose and read most any book that suits their interests. The best books are the ones that evoke some type of emotion in the reader. I'm certain that is what drives Harper's love for books. ~Abby Rodenberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I learned from the scary tales that all I had to do was stop reading and go back later when I felt ready for it. That's a lesson we all need to know so we can handle the times when life gets scary.

      Delete

I love comments!