Tuesday, December 12, 2023

It never fails

My dog Gabe often starts smelling pretty ripe between baths.  I used to put off  bathing him as long as possible because he's too big to put in my rather small kitchen sink and I can't get down on my knees to bathe him in the bathtub.  So I'd bend over to shampoo him while he struggled, which wore us both out.  

A while back a former neighbor of mine listed an ad on Facebook for a used dog-washing station, and we bought it.  When we got it home we had to modify it somewhat so that it drained out in the bathtub; it really helped me:  I can get him lathered up and then rinsed in under five minutes.  He behaves better, too, with no struggling to get away.  Between baths, we keep the dog-washer in the back porch.

Yesterday was bath day for Gabe.  Later  on I took him for a little walk in the pasture.  I would have leashed him, but I walk so slowly, and I like him to get a chance to run around and sniff at things.  I  watch him closely though, to make sure he doesn't roll in any dead animal remains... if he's ever going to to that, it's usually right after a bath, but it didn't happen yesterday.  He did go through a few weedy  places and got stick-tights in his eyebrows and beard, but I combed them out easily when we were done.

He stays close to home these days, so when he needs to go out to check his mail, I let him go; he soon comes back, and barks at the door to let me know he's ready to come in.  I was fixing to go to bed last night, so I sent him out for his last chance to empty his tank.  I sat on the couch waiting... and waiting and waiting and waiting.  When it's dark and he takes a lot of time coming back, I always imagine coyotes stealing him away, although you never see or hear them anywhere near the house.  I called several times.  Normally he comes when I call, but not last night.  I decided to go on to bed to worry, and have Cliff let him in when he barked, but Cliff took pity on me, whistled and called him, and wouldn't you know, Gabe came when he heard the Master.  Why?  Because he knows who feeds him people food, that's why!

I came back to the living room; Gabe got a long drink of water and then started rubbing his beard on rugs or blankets or against the couch, ON the couch, and then I knew he had been up to no good.  He'd found something to eat, something sticky or clingy, and wanted it out of his beard. This wasn't my first rodeo.  Very cautiously I subdued him, bent down, and smelled his beard.  It was cooking oil from our grandson's fish-fry Sunday!   I texted the grandson and asked where he put the used oil; "I poured it out in the pasture," he said.

"Well," I told him, "Gabe found it."

I got a washcloth all soapy and worked on his beard, but he spent the rest of the time licking his feet.  I was afraid he might get sick from it, but he was ready for his breakfast as usual this morning.  Now he's licking his feet again, laying on the furnace register.

This morning he doesn't even look like he's ashamed of himself.  I'll be leashing him when he wants out, for a while.  It looks to me like he still has grease in his beard.  

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:56 AM

    Whatever it is you don't want them to find...they will. Haha.. Rebecca H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phinnie stinks and it’s hard for me to give him a bath. I did it not long ago and he already stinks again. I don’t have a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may be having a gland problem. Twice I have taken Gabe to the vet to have his glands expressed. $20 each time. The groomers do the glands every time, but not as thorough as the vet does. Most dogs don't have that problem. Of course, you likely wouldn't notice it with an outdoor dog. Gabe is the first dog I've had that has had the problem, as far as I know. The glands are in the dogs' anus. A person can learn VIA Internet how to express the glands, but ewwwww.... I'll pass, for now.

      Delete
  3. At least up here, many car washes now have dog washing stations on the same premises. They are just tiled rooms in small buildings where you can tie up Rover and then use a garden hose with a sprayer attachment to wash all the nooks and crannies. I'm not sure how the payment system works but they always seems to be someone there whenever I'm going through the carwash building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would get old. I like doing it at home. Fast and easy and don't have any problem now. The small towns around us wouldn't have anything like that.

      Delete
  4. Fish cooking grease sounds yummy to a dog--my Mari would love it too! I can't imagine trying to bathe her though. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabe will eat almost anything!

      Delete
  5. I didn't know doggies like fish fries! If his toenails are a little long, that can cause a dog to lick their feet cuz of the structural stress on the muscles around the toes. Just a thought. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was licking the grease off. The groomers cut his toenails 2 weeks ago.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear. I had a dog who found something to roll in. It was a busy day, but everything stopped to bathe the dog. Next thing I know, a kid had let him out. He came back again, reeking. I collected the kids, gave them directives, bathed the dog again. He moped around inside, feeling awfully sorry for himself. I took pity on him, snapped on his leash and took him with me when I walked down to the mail box. I was standing the sorting through the mail, with the leash looped over my wrist when I felt a sudden jerking. I pulled the dog out of the tall grass. The dead thing was down in the ditch. And yes. He needed another bath.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!