Thursday, August 31, 2023

Trouble sleeping? I may have found the answer

When I go to bed, usually around 8:30, it doesn't take me too long to fall asleep.  My trouble is that I wake up several times in the night.  Sometimes I go right back to sleep, other times not so much... especially in the wee hours of the morning.  I'm a morning person; sunrise is the crowning jewel of my day.  So if I wake at 3 A.M, as I did this morning, it's really difficult to just lie in bed and wait, but I try.  This morning I prayed for a while, blessing all my descendents one by one, from my oldest child, Jim, to my youngest great-grandson, Ivan.  I still couldn't get back to sleep, and my mind wandered.  Out of the blue, I got an idea:  What if there was a podcast that would help me sleep?

Well, with that thought I got out of bed and made a cup of tea, vowing to do a Google search on the topic.  I don't allow myself to do anything in the morning until I've done my Bible reading, which takes about 20 minutes; if I don't do that first, it won't get done.  Needless to say, I didn't concentrate on what I read very well because I was anxious to find out if there was a podcast such as the one I had dreamed up.  I do remember a little of what I read, though:  In the book of Job, his friends finally shut up harassing him so he and God would have a chance to tell them what's what, which means I'm about done with that book of the Bible for this year.  In the New Testament, I read part of a letter Paul wrote telling me my body is only a tent for my spirit to live in while I'm on earth.  I also read a Psalm and a Proverb, but I don't recall specifically what I read in those, having been rather distracted thinking about finding a podcast to help me sleep.  

With that done, I did my daily Wordle.  Then I was ready to consult Google about a podcast.

Imagine my surprise when I found out there are hundreds of them!  I found a list of the fifteen best ones, though, and chose one called Nothing Much Happens.  I laid back in the recliner and began listening.  I didn't expect to go back to sleep at this time of the morning, but believe me, it did relax and calm me.  I have an Alexa device near my bed, and I will be listening to this podcast tonight, unless I find another one I like better.  

In another finding, an ad I found on my googling journal told me about a secret ingredient that makes boxed mac and cheese taste much better... one teaspoon of fish sauce.  Ewww.  And yet, I want to try it, and have actually put it on my list.  

But wait a minute, there's more googling to be done, because as I was typing up above about laying in bed I thought, is it laying, or lying?  And shouldn't lying be spelled lieing?  

No wonder I have trouble going to sleep.  

Sweet dreams, my friends.

Oh, now I know why this all sounds like a crazy person wrote it:  It's the full moon, which hasn't disappeared yet this morning.  See it between the pine trees?



10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:09 AM

    You are a good Christian and also a friend and helper to many! I’ve always enjoyed your songs and poems you wrote over many years! Now I enjoy reading your blogs!
    That super blue moon was behind a tree as it came up last night, so I enjoyed seeing it even more this morning in the western sky! Maybe we were admiring it at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are you? Anonymous doesn't tell me much.

      Delete
  2. I can't listen to a podcast when I wake up in the wee hours and can't get back to sleep due to a spouse next to me who can sleep if I don't wake her up. I generally go do some web reading and then end up in the recliner and turn the television to something uninteresting which is easy to do at that time of the day. I am usually lights out within seconds. The only problem is that it is never as restful as sleeping in bed.

    We have and use fish sauce quite a bit. I can imagine it tastes pretty good in boxed mac and cheese but since I have never tried it, I can't say for sure until I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only buy box mix for great-grandkids who show up hungry. Since Cliff got his cochlear implants, he is totally deaf at night. I could have a party and he wouldn't know it.

      Delete
  3. I have same problem. I go to sleep find but wake and then sometimes I can’t get back to sleep. I pray for others every night. Sometimes you. Laura and I are doing daily waffle. We like it. Bet you will. I still do Wordle too. It’s
    Wafflegame.net. Just one a day like Wordle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a blue moon, the second full moon of August. That's wonderful about the podcasts. Tim has a terrible time sleeping. He drinks a beer at bedtime. I never saw him drink until this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot imagine fish sauce in mac and cheese. What I can imagine are several different varieties of flavorful cheeses and pasta! I wake up sometimes during the night but usually can get back to sleep. However, sometimes getting to sleep is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, what’s fish sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I didn't look for it. I think it's something Chinese and/or Japanese use in their cooking. Ed, above, has a wife from the Philippines, and he says his family uses it.

      Delete
  7. I don't think this sounds crazy at all. Bacon is good in mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!