Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Let's hear it for foster parents

I haven't known a lot of people who are brave enough to be foster parents, but I do have a nephew who, with his wife, fostered several children and then finally adopted four siblings they were fostering.  When that happens with dogs, it's jokingly called "foster fail".  It happens when you just can't help keeping your temporary puppies; you want them for your own.  Of course, it's actually a win for everyone, whether it's puppies or children.

Most of the children come to foster homes broken, and feeling unloved.  Some have survived so much pain, sorrow, and unimaginable lives that they're bound to have PTSD.  They can be hard to handle because of their backgrounds.  They've never known trust.

I couldn't do it, but I'm surely glad someone is willing, and strong enough, to help fill that need.

A couple that goes to the Baptist church I attend are foster parents.  During my time there, I've seen them lose one little girl they had with them for a year or two, almost from the time she was born; she went back to live with her parents, but she left crying because she was leaving the only home she knew.  Imagine the pain that causes the foster parents and, in this case, also the lady who had been the girl's babysitter during the work week.

You never know when these foster parents will come in with children you haven't seen before, and may not see again.  But I am so proud that somebody cares for these kids.  I took a couple of pictures that warmed my heart last Sunday, and I want to share them.


The three closest to the foster mom on the left have been adopted by her and her husband.  The other children, two boys and two girls, have arrived very recently, during the past couple of weeks.  They come from two different families.

God bless the foster parents.


A friend from the Baptist church told me some things I didn't know about this lady.  It's a small church, but I don't know a lot about all the people there, and I try not to ask questions about folks.

What a surprise to learn that this woman is a single mom!  I thought the man who attends church with her sometimes was her husband, but he's a friend.

Also, two of the children I thought were fosters were kids just visiting Sunday.  They attend on Wednesday nights, but usually go to another church on Sunday.  

I did not know that a single woman could be a foster mom.  I'm still learning about all this.

But you know what?  I wouldn't be surprised if that lady came in with ten foster kids some Sunday... although I'm not sure her babysitter could handle it.

9 comments:

  1. I know a lady nearby that has fostered over 40 kids throughout the years. Some of them now have children and the youngest is I think 11 this year. For years she had a husband but he died a handful of years back so now she just continues on by herself. I am always amazed whenever I see her and her posse around town. It looks like controlled chaos. But the older ones continue to stop by with their children and call her mom so she does something right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just amazes me that some people are strong enough to do it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:54 AM

    I knew a man who came from foster care that really wasn't care...it was abuse..And I am Margie from Margie's Musings...not anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that happens sometimes. There are also kids abused by their natural parents, so it's no surprise that it can happen in foster care.

      Delete
  3. I know of several people who have foster adopted; I admire them very much. John's oldest two granddaughters were fostered by his older daughter and her husband for 5 years before they were adopted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A single person can also adopt children. I applaud those who try to help children. It surely is difficult, but God bless them for trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My niece and her husband are foster parents in California. It against the rules for them to post pictures of the children they care for on social media. Did you get permission before you put the pictures on your blog? Not sure what Missouri's rules are about this but I would hate for you or her to get into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew who has fostered many children said they changed that, as long as it is in a family setting. Yes, I did get permission. Perhaps Missouri has different guidelines than California. Actually, I was only trying to get the back of their heads because I knew that would be OK, but the blond girl kept turning her head. Then I talked to my nephew and he said it's OK unless there are special circumstances.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:36 AM

      Good. I did not mean to be critical of you.

      Delete

I love comments!