Wednesday, August 30, 2023

It's a cooler day today

It'll be back in the 90's by the weekend, and stay that way for the foreseeable future, according to Weather.com.  I guess we'd better be used to it by now, because I do believe it's the "new normal".  Of course, everything is still dry as a desert.  And yet, I'm enjoying the garden.  I have four, count 'em, FOUR soaker hoses I move around from row to row.  My Alexa device is very handy for setting timers for me so I don't forget the water is going; otherwise by the time I remembered what was going on, I'd have a swamp in the garden.

This was taken around 6:30 yesterday morning.  That zucchini plant has really been doing well.  The closest plants to the front are my turnips.  That corn is almost ready to pick.  

I don't use soaker hoses on the strawberry plants.  I just stand there with the hose every morning and give them a good drink.  They're looking pretty healthy; the one on the top left is sending out lots of babies to bear sweet berries next spring.

Today I brought in green beans and okra, as well as some beets.  I'll be breaking beans as soon as I get this entry done.  I also pulled and hoed weeds for a looooong time!  I get my needed exercise every day in the garden.

That's my latest zucchini in front of the row of okra.  I like to keep zucchini coming until frost.  I don't make zucchini bread or cake.  I pick them small to stir fry.  We have too many things in the house already that are loaded with oil and sugar... like the butternut squash pie I made yesterday.  We also had butternut squash soup the other day.

I've spent so much time outside in the garden, I can tell I've gained a lot of strength from the work I do there, and we're eating good home-grown stuff.  Now if I'd just lose some weight.  I've been stuck on 162 since before Christmas.

On another subject:  My doctors have wanted me to take atorvastatin for a long time, but I'd heard and read so many stories about people not being able to take it that I refused it.  Finally this year I decided I may as well try it.  I knew it was for people with high cholesterol, and I figured if it gave me any side effects, I could just stop taking it.  However, I got a big surprise.  My blood pressure, the top number of which was running from 130 to 145 (which doctors don't worry about any more) is now usually in the 120's almost all the time.  I didn't think it would do anything for my blood pressure.  Oh, and the irregular heartbeat I've had for years is almost totally gone.  It was a minor thing anyhow, but the blood pressure meter was always telling me how many times it skipped when I used it.

If I'd known it was a miracle drug, I'd have taken it sooner.

Oh, I went to the doctor with Cliff.


The doctor still doesn't think he has asthma, but he doesn't offer anything else that it could be that's making him find it hard to breathe.  I asked him about the wheezing; he said that seemed more like a throat thing, and made an appointment for him with an ear-nose-throat doctor.  I'm beginning to think Cliff is right when he says his only problem is that he's fat.  His lungs look like they're in excellent shape, according to the CT.  By the way, the doctor ordered a CT, but he ordered a special kind, and they didn't do what he asked.  He has called them to rectify the mistake without cost to us, but so far we've heard nothing from them.

So that's the way it is at Woodhaven Acres.  I'm going to break some green beans for dinner.
  


 

7 comments:

  1. Not sure what I would do with out Alexa timers. They have changed the way I function, in a good way I think.

    Many years ago, my grandfather had an internal hernia in the membrane between his guts and his lungs. I'm not sure of the technical term. But it caused him to wheeze and get out of breath easily. I suspect that is what the doctor is ruling out by ordering the CT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had lots of rain and finally some higher temps. It was mild almost all summer, until just a few weeks ago. My squash and tomatoes have taken off and are producing every day. The green beans always do well and we are beginning to tire of them. Fortunately, my dogs love them and enjoy the leftovers. I am in the surgical waiting room for my husband . He is having his right femral artery opened up with a new vessel. He should be a lot more active as soon as the recovery is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we have a main course for our meal, I don't think we'd ever get tired of green beans.

      Delete
  3. It’s cooler here in the morning but way above 90 in the afternoon. Well, it’ll be cold soon enough I guess. We weigh the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hate to think about half of September being in the 90's though

      Delete
  4. We're back into cooler 60s and 70s with some rain. Heaven to a Washingtonian. Your garden keeps you busy and active in a fulfilling way. And you get lots of wonderful food out of it too! There is nothing I love more than fresh green beans. Sorry that there have been no answers yet for Cliff.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!