Tuesday, January 31, 2023

my blog community

I don't follow a lot of blogs.  Most of the bloggers I started out reading when I began my own blog on AOL Journals quit long ago, and Facebook ended many of them.  I know I've found myself blogging less often since I discovered Facebook; I used to blog practically every day.  

If I notice someone has a list of blogger friends on their own site, I'll check some of those out and keep the ones that interest me.  Most of my original blogging friends are gone, but we are still friends on Facebook, so I didn't really lose them.  Over these past twenty years I've followed women who have lost their husbands, but have been able to climb out of the "valley of the shadow of death" and learn how to live their lives in a different way, make new friends, and finding out they are stronger than they thought, while always remembering and honoring that loved one who passed on.

I've seen ladies who blogged almost to the end of their cancer journeys, and I still remember them whether they lived or died.  I've learned from my blogging friends that physical and mental pain is everywhere, and that death leaves nobody behind.  I've "seen" many people unexpectedly die the day after I read their last entry.

For the last several weeks, one of my blog friends has had a sick husband who refused to go to the doctor when he wasn't getting any better.  He seemed to be failing, getting weaker every day, and I fretted about this and prayed for them when I woke up in the night, although I don't really know them; but we women can feel the pain of other women, knowing we could be, or possibly have been, in the same situation. 

Patrick Phillips, in his blog this morning, addressed an article saying that the "good old days" of blogging, where people actually had a nice little community, were past.  If you could see all the comments on my friend's blog entries about her husband these past several days, you would know there are many little communities centered around blogs.  Even big communities, in some cases, like a blogger living in Hawaii who gets an unbelievable number of comments.

I believe these communities are good for our mental health.  We are all different kinds of people, but if we want to vent about something, we can do it.  Religious, non-religious, rich and poor... we can say our piece without somebody fighting with us, and still get along.  Sometimes we need to express our pain and know somebody is listening, and it helps keep us sane.  

Long live the bloggers!

13 comments:

  1. AMEN! I'm glad to hear that Tim is on the mend. I wrote that if I had lived closer, I would have brought over a meal for them because that is just what people do for other nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the blogging community isn't gone at all; people who blog seem to be kinder and more supportive than those on Facebook. Less critical anyway. Perhaps it's because we get to know each other better through our writing, so it's not as easy to judge or criticize. I'm happy for that blogger's good news also although I'm relatively new to her site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the people I "know" from blogging form a type of community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell people I have virtual friends all over the world!

      Delete
    2. Yes, isn't it wonderful? I've found I'm more accepting of people everywhere because of my blog friends.

      Delete
  4. Blogging leaves a footprint unless google deletes us. Facebook entries are just a vapor. I enjoy your wisdom. Patsy would say—my thoughts aren't worth a penny but here they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've realized that at the end of our lives, we lost everything gradually anyhow. You've lost your husband already. We've lost our parents, aunts, and uncles. So if we lose all these millions of words we've put on the Internet, it's just another transient thing that probably doesn't matter nearly as much as we thought. When I had my first computer, I lost all the pictures I had on it and thought it was the end of the world. Now I realize it was no big deal.

      Delete
  5. Margie from Margie's Musings6:47 PM

    I enjoy reading other's blogs and have been blogging myself for probably 20 years. Again, this is not Anonymous. This is Margie from Margie's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never forget all my AOL journal friends who stood by me and WITH me when I lost my husband, Danny. Had it not been for them and my faith, I have serious doubts I would have been able to stay sane. Donna, ( Mosie) YOU are one of those who helped me get through some of the saddest days of my life back in 2006. (and I still have the book you sent me.) Thank you so much for caring and being there. 💓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will never forget you, Carlene.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:28 AM

    I've been reading your blog for years and would miss you a lot if I didn't see a post from you. Bloggers are like a community of friends for sure and I'll be blogging as long as I can. It's become a daily habit for me. I like keeping in touch with all my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:28 AM

    Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should work at posting more often. I'm glad you're still around. When I need something positive on a dreary day, I always know I can go to your blog and get straightened out.

      Delete

I love comments!