Monday, January 02, 2023

2022 was a decent year

I can't complain about much of anything that happened last year.  Inflation was a bit of a problem, but  we got through the year solvent.  That's all I've ever hoped for in money matters.  My garden gave me much joy, in spite of a drought that ruined some of my crops.  I loved getting out there at sunup with my dog and cat, watching their silly capers and chasing one another as I planted tiny seeds, spread the soaker hose along a thirsty row, or pulled weeds.

We had any kind of food we wanted and ate well... too well, no doubt.  Cliff went completely deaf, but we're hoping the cochlear implant will remedy that situation; He will get it activated day after tomorrow and start re-learning to hear.  I think we're both wondering if it will overcome his roaring tinnitus!

We've still not had flu, colds, or Covid.  I have come to terms with wintertime and very seldom have winter depression; that may be because I still take Lexapro.  I've thought about getting off it gradually in the spring, with my doctor's approval, but I feel so much better since I've been taking it, I hate to quit.  I probably should try, though.  I could start taking if again if I felt I needed to. 

Cliff's cousin who was at a nursing home near her son has died, and the funeral is Friday, down in the Ozarks.  We have planned to go, but when I realize that most of the family in that area doesn't believe in vaccines, and that Covid seems to be passed around continually from one to another, it rather worries me... not for myself so much, but for Cliff, with  his asthma.  For myself, I wouldn't mind wearing a mask, but Cliff has a bit of trouble breathing with masks.  Also, he's still going to be deaf to some extent, even though the cochlear implant will be activated; the doctors talk like it will be a long time before he will understand what he's hearing.  He sure won't be able to converse this Friday.

Decisions!

Around home, we are both content.  We tend to fall asleep a lot when we're sitting down, but who cares?  One thing Covid did for us was to teach us to be content at home.  Cliff always has been, but now I'm as much a stick-in-the-mud as he is.  

Today we intend to buy the Honda we've leased for almost three years; in my mind, I call it our Covid car because we leased it at the start of the pandemic without ever going to see a dealer.  We'll make the purchase online, and that'll be that.  This will be the first vehicle we ever bought without borrowing the money to purchase it.  It isn't perfect for us:  Cliff has a little trouble getting in the car, but once he's in it, he can drive all day, and 36 miles to the gallon is a big selling point for our Honda Accord.

As for this new year, 2023, I can only hope it's as good to us as 2022 has been.  At our ages, that's a lot to ask, I suppose, but maybe our luck will hold.  All I've ever wanted was to have enough; so far we've had that.

We are blessed.

5 comments:

  1. You inspire me with your attitude, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this year is another great one. Sic em. Didyou ever hear that term! Better not go among the throngs of unvaced. My advice for the day. Grave side might be ok but it’s probably a little close air church. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sic 'em is what you say to a dog when you want him to go get somebody or something. It is in a funeral home, one where Cliff's parents and a couple siblings and numerous other relatives had their goodbyes. It's a two-hour drive down there and Cliff can't converse because he can't hear, so it would be awful for him in that way, too. I think I'll just send some flowers.

      Delete
  3. I will probably get Covid in 2023 but still am doing my best to avoid it while living my life. It's a tough balance. The pandemic has taught me the same thing: to be more comfortable at home and content by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all managed to escape COVID these past two years and can only hope that we will be lucky in 2023. We have lots of trips planned so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!