Monday, January 23, 2023

Our new mattress

I won't be sleeping in my own bedroom any more.  We bought a new mattress for our queen-sized bed, and I'm in love with it.

The old mattress on our bed was not comfortable to me, and I had mentioned getting a new mattress to Cliff, but he insisted we didn't need one, even though his side of it was definitely worn out.  He's a big man, you know, which puts a lot of pressure on his side of the bed.

We've probably had at least four mattresses during our married life; when we were young with no aches and pains, we could have slept on the floor and never worried much about which mattress we'd buy, as long as it didn't cost much  

Nowadays Cliff suffers from arthritis in his right shoulder and his left hip, and he's always been a side sleeper.  So he sleeps on his right side until his shoulder wakes him up, then turns to his left side until his hip bothers him.

I decided to do some research.  My public library card allows me to check out Consumer Reports online, so I studied what they found to be the best mattresses. 


I concentrated on the top four, thinking I'd get the cheapest one.  But after reading more, I was drawn to the Casper Hybrid.  The favored Avocado Green, all foam, can't be put on box springs, and I didn't want to be forced to get a new kind of bed and frame after buying a very expensive mattress.  The Casper is foam, but also has springs, and can be laid on box springs or not.

The mattress arrived eight days ago from Amazon; the price, including taxes, was $1,434.27, which scared me.  What if we hated it?  By the way, the good Lord must have been looking out for me, because today on Amazon the same mattress is $1695, not counting the tax!  Believe me, our household savings account is rather depleted right now.

And it's worth every penny to me!  It is so comfortable, I can't believe it.  Cliff likes it fine, but he doesn't seem to be as crazy about it as I am.  When he gets in or out of bed, I don't even feel it on my side.  I sleep better and wake up more rested than I have in years.  I still get up three or four times a night for my aging bladder, but I go right back to sleep.  I've never been more happy with a purchase I've made.

And to think it came all rolled up in a box.

10 comments:

  1. Larry wore out mattresses. He was almost 6’10” and heavy too. Unlike Clift he complained all the time. He hated the foam ones. I finally got an older type that could be flipped over. He still was miserable. I sleep in a small bed now and leave the big queen for guests. But no one comes…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son is the only one who comes, once a year, and sleeps here. But the granddaughters used to sometimes spend a night with us. Now they're all grown up and have kids of their own.

      Delete
  2. A good mattress is SO important! Glad to hear you found one that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:36 AM

    Leslie bought me a new one when I moved here. When Dean, my classmate, comes, I move onto the trundle in the den and give him my bed. He just loves it. After his last visit, he bought a new mattress.like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the first time in our marriage, we replaced our well worn mattress a year ago with one from Purple. After sleeping in it that first night, I kicked myself for waiting so long to replace it just to save a few pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good night's sleep is beyond price! I love my pillow top mattress; it's firm but also soft if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds wonderful! Yay! I hate buying mattresses. We bought one and it started sagging within a couple of months. I contacted the store we bought it from so they gave us a different one. After two or three years, it sagged too. I was disgusted. I ended up sticking several beach towels underneath where it sagged and then bought a mattress topper. Sounds crazy, but it's worked so far. But yes... I'm sure we'll need to replace it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just curious, is there an odor? A lot of these things off-gas and I have to let them sit for weeks before I can be near them. We don't need a new mattress - we replaced ours in 2020 - but my mother-in-law needs one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were expecting a smell because some people said that was an issue But we have noticed no odor at all. I hesitate to tell you that, though, because you have so many health problems, and you might notice a smell where we don't.

      Delete

I love comments!