Friday, January 27, 2023

medicines and stuff

What I love most about CSI: Las Vegas in the many drone shots swooping down over the city.  I've always had a little crush on William Peterson, too, but I guess I won't be seeing him any time soon.  They had the old players come back for the first season, which is the only thing that made me watch the admittedly mediocre show.  But now, I can't leave because of those shots of Vegas from the skies.

Cliff and I changed our Medicare Advantage plans from United Health Care to Humana this year; the guy that helps us decide which plan is best told us Humana has a card that works like a debit card that's good for $1,000 for hearing, glasses, or dentists that are on the plan.  It's gone pretty smoothly so far; I work with my plan on the computer, but Cliff isn't computer-wise and doesn't care to do that, which is fine.  

For the past few days, though, he's been getting calls from Humana, voicemails telling him to call them.  Today I told him I'd listen to the voicemail, get the phone number, and call them for him, although I hate to have to use the phone for things like this; it never works out well for me.

I first called the number and got a recording saying it was Humana Centerwell (the pharmacy).  A recorded message said that Clifford had to be the one to call; then it gave me some questions that had to be answered yes or no, and again, they had to talk to HIM.  After not getting a real person to talk to, trying again, and being told I couldn't do this or that, I was already started down the road that leads to a bad day... and then came the clincher:  they ended up telling me they had a deal for us for Internet and Directv.    

I hung up and said, "This is why I hate to deal with this sort of stuff!"

But then I decided to give myself a little pep talk out loud.  "Okay, I'll get online and get a different number for the pharmacy and call them.  I have all the time in the world; dinner is made, because there's lots of hamburger soup left from yesterday and soup gets better every day.  I will adjust my attitude.  There's no reason for me to be concerned about this, because I trust Jesus!"

For some reason Cliff laughed, but at least I was content.

I called the pharmacy and got a very nice lady who asked what the calls to Cliff's phone had been about; I told her we really didn't know... all I knew was that they wanted me to have a free "help-I've-fallen-and-can't-get-up" device (I already have one) and they wanted me to get DirecTv.  

She found Cliff's account and found everything in order; they'd been waiting for all the doctors to change his prescriptions to Humana, but that's all done now and she had no idea what the calls to him were about.

It must have been some sort of scam, but if so, I can't imagine what they could have gotten out of it.  I'm certainly not going back to DirecTv; $1,200 a year is way too much to pay for 100 channels we never watch!  Cliff still struggles to find what he wants to watch when I'm not around, but I love streaming services.  We have four of them right now:  PBS, which we have because of a $5 monthly pledge; Prime, which goes with our Amazon Prime membership; Hulu, which is $14.99 monthly; and Paramount, which we got half-price for $45 for a year.  I think we'll get rid of Hulu for awhile next month and go back to Netflix.  That's what's so great about streaming services.  You aren't forced to keep them for a year or two, like DirecTv.

You'd be surprised at all the stuff we watch on PBS.  Last night I found a documentary about Patsy Cline that we both enjoyed; they have lots of documentary programs.  We watch the British who-done-its, too.  

Anyway, Cliff will be getting get his meds in a timely manner, I talked myself out of ruining a day, and all's well with the world.

3 comments:

  1. There are SO many scams out there that I don't trust even legitimate texts/emails these days. (which could burn me sometime) I'm glad it worked out! I too love PBS and watch a lot of shows there. Netflix too since I'm a fan of the baking shows and "Call The Midwife."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have solved a lot of my phone call problems by turning off the ringer and just letting it go directly to voicemail. I then check for messages every couple days. I find that 99% of the calls never leave a message. Anybody who knows me personally has my cellphone number which I never put on any forms, especially online forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:58 AM

    I have been scammed once and I have learned not to even start talking to anyone I don't know. That scam cost me $1,000. Never again! And this is Margie of Margie's Musings..not Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!