Monday, May 30, 2022

Memorial Day Weekend

I've had a feeling lately I'd like to go to north Missouri and see the graves of my parents; I'd also like to go to Versailles to visit my husband's parents' graves.  Cliff isn't the type to think about such things, and he was having so much fun this weekend I didn't want to bring it up.  Today I mentioned it, though, and he said we could do that any time.  Memorial day will be over, but the thought is the same, anyhow.  We won't be going both places the same day, since my parents' graves are 100 miles north, and his parents are 100 miles southeast.

Our daughter brought a couple of her grandkids over Saturday and ate brisket sandwiches with us.  Yesterday after I came home from church, the grandson and Alexandria ate toasted brisket sandwiches with us.  Today, my cousin Betty, who I haven't seen for quite a while, came knocking at our door, and she, Cliff and I had toasted brisket sandwiches!  It's a good thing I had that brisket cooked.   Yesterday and today we had fresh strawberries from the garden with ice cream for dessert.  


 Great-granddaughter Amara helped me pick strawberries Saturday, eating half of what she picked with great enthusiasm.  Later she decided to climb a tree.


So, we've had quite a weekend with pleasant company.  Tomorrow Cora will be here to visit.  Our cup runneth over.

My garden surprise for the day was finding two tiny tomatoes on my vines, one on the Big Beef plant and the other one on a Jet Star plant.  The moles are in my garden more often now, so I ordered a mole trap on Amazon.  It has great reviews; I only hope it works well for us.

I'll share a comical review of the mole trap on Amazon that made me chuckle.  Click on it to make it larger.




6 comments:

  1. I loved that mole trap review! I had a similar issue with Patt. I would come home from school to find a dead mole lying on top of a 5-gallon bucket. Blech! What fun to have family and friends over! The food sounds excellent, especially the strawberries. Home grown ones are so superior to the store bought. Memorial Day is technically only for soldiers lost in the service of the country so any day works to visit the cemeteries. I didn't go there this year even though it's only 10 minutes away. Perhaps when the deep purple bearded irises bloom. They were Patt's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amara is absolutely beautiful, Donna! Such a smile on her face. She looks like a very happy child. God bless her. ~Andrea xoxo PS~ We don't kill moles. As long as they stay outside, that's their domain & we feel lucky they share it with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, the moles aren't ruining your garden. They sure are in mine.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:50 AM

    I'm going to have to tell my son about the traps. He was just saying they had a lot of moles in their yard this year. Glad you had such a good memorial day with family. Your strawberries look wonderful! It's so nice to see the rewards of your gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:50 AM

    I forgot to say this is 'ma'.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!