Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Making Labor Day plans

We don't usually make plans very far ahead; I don't even buy green bananas any more.  However, we decided to risk it this time.  One of the first big tractor shows we ever attended was the Midwest Old Thresher's Reunion in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.  We've been there three or four times since then, too.  Last week I got an email about it and mentioned it to Cliff.  It doesn't change much from year to year, but there is a lot to see.

The problem is, neither Cliff nor I can do a lot of walking any more, and the the Old Thresher grounds are huge.  We couldn't recall ever seeing any golf cart rentals, but I scoured the website to see if they had them, but found none.  However!!!  They do have mobility scooters.  They are $75 a day, per person.  I spoke for two scooters for two days.  (::note to self::  save up plenty of money for this event.)

Always before, we stayed in whatever camper we owned at the time, but our camper days are past.  I got us a highly rated motel twenty miles from Mount Pleasant for three nights.  Getting a motel in the small town of Mt. Pleasant is virtually impossible.

I also ordered our tickets for the venue, since they are cheaper when they are bought in May, and I ordered tickets that assure us a good seat at the country music show on Thursday night.  Anyone on the grounds can watch the show, but getting a good seat isn't easy, because most seats are first-come, first served.  We'll be seeing Leroy Van Dyke, an old guy from Missouri who had one hit in his life, as far as I know, although he is a decent singer.  He's famous for singing "The Auctioneer".  Also in the show are Jimmy Fortune and The Malpass Brothers.  We often watched them on Country's Family Reunion.  If you're not a country music lover, just ignore this paragraph.  But we like all three of the acts.

With the motel, the mobility scooters, and meals, and boarding for the dog while we're gone (I already spoke for his board, because you have to book early for holiday weekends), this is going to be quite an expense for us, but I think it will be well worth it.  Once again we'll see the huge steam engines, the farm tractors, the sorghum making and broom making, the threshing machines... I can't wait!  

9 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your stay in my neck of the woods. I've been to the Reunion several times over the years and always enjoy walking around looking at things but yes, it is a lot of miles. I'm guessing you got your motel in Fairfield? Let me know if you need any good eats recommendations while there. If you are staying in Fairfield, there are a lot of great places to eat. I suppose Burlington is around 20 miles away too but I'm not as familiar with it as I am Fairfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say, yes, we will be in Fairfield.

      Delete
  3. For good American food dining, try the Cider House just outside of town to the NE.
    https://fishbackandstephenson.com/

    If you like sushi, there is a really good one for being this deep in the midwest
    https://m.facebook.com/shokaisushi/

    A good soup and sandwich place along with homemade brick oven pizza
    https://order.letsorderonline.com/display/menu/revelations

    There is also a pretty decent turkish place where you can get some common turkish street foods like kababs, gyros and such.
    https://www.facebook.com/istanbul-grillIowa-467164380225/

    A smallish Mexican place just off the square serves pretty good food.
    https://www.facebook.com/Arandas-Mexican-Restaurant-279229588753815/

    There are also a lot of more traditional american, mexican, chinese, and various fast food places but the above ones are more offbeat ones that one might not try unless someone pointed them out. There is also a pretty nice farmers market complete with local produce and crafts that goes on every Saturday 8 to 1 if you want to kill part of the morning.

    https://www.facebook.com/FairfieldFarmersMarket/

    Hope you have good weather for the Reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have great time! I am sure you will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woot-woot for you, Donna!! I'm glad you took the leap to decide to go and that your husband was all for it. You two will have a wonderful time. Be sure to keep us updated as the time gets close. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an absolute fun time. Why not spend the money on something you both enjoy. Life is short, so spend it and enjoy your time there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like so much fun for you both! Enjoy your outing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!