Thursday, May 12, 2022

Cooler weather is coming

I've had a productive and wonderful day, in spite of the heat.  The grandson recently gave us some roasts and steaks from the last cow he had butchered, since neither he nor his significant other like to cook.  Last night I got a chuck roast out of the freezer to thaw, and this morning I put in in the crock pot, so we had Sunday dinner on Thursday noon:  Roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, the last of last year's home-grown sweet corn from the freezer, and spinach fresh from the garden.  I messaged Arick (the oldest grandson) at work and told him he and Alex could come and warm up leftovers this evening; he said she is working late tonight.  She's a manager at Hooter's, so her hours are always changing; she may go to work at 8:30 in the morning, and the next day leave for work at 4:30 P.M.  Anyhow, I messaged her and told her to come and have some leftovers any time she wanted to; she was glad to oblige.  We really like her:  She's always pleasant and fun to talk to, and she loves to eat anything I make.  Grandson will be over when he's ready to eat this evening.  He's already home from work, but will wait until his girlfriend goes to work before he comes over.  He usually goes and works out in the evening, too. 

In the garden, the sweet potatoes are coming along.  I paid for a dozen plants, and the seller included two extra ones.  It looks like I'm going to have eleven living plants (knock wood).  That isn't bad, all things considered.

I found a packet of zinnia seeds this morning, so I tilled up a little spot in the corner of the garden area and intend to plant them tomorrow morning while it's cool.  They are saying there's a chance of rain tomorrow; I hope they're right.

I'll probably also pull up the radishes and spinach tomorrow.  Radishes are starting to go to seed, thanks to the hot weather, and the spinach won't be far behind them.  Then I can plant some other things in that space.  My Iris and peonies will soon be blooming, and after that, the day lilies.  The slow-poke hardy Hibiscus hasn't even come up yet!

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that anyplace in hot since we're still sitting in the 50s with rain. I prefer that to super hot temps though. Arick and his girlfriend are lucky to have such a great cook so close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.The link didn't work for me. It took me to a blank page on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, lucky you, Donna.... roasts & steaks! When we buy a quarter steer I always put those cuts on the bottom of the freezer and put the ground meat on top.... because it's so tempting to plow through the roasts & steaks, thus having nothing left but ground. *lol* I'm down to the bottom of the barrel in our freezer now and we had a delicious roast last week and some steaks this week. Yummo. You enjoy that delicious homegrown meat, my friend. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!