Monday, May 09, 2022

Summertime already

Yes, it's warm and windy.  You won't hear me complaining at this point, although the ninety degree temperatures heading our way starting today marks the end of morel season, and probably the end of our radishes and spinach, both of which like cool weather.  As for morels, everyone around here had all the morels they wanted.  Those cool, cloudy days gave us a good long spell of mushroom-hunting.  The grandson gave me his last ones.  I'm experimenting with dehydrating them, since my oven has a "dehydrate" button.  It's a convection oven too, so the fans keep the air moving as they dry.  I'll use them to give soups a little of the morel taste.  We had spinach from the garden Saturday, and I'll probably pick some again tomorrow while the getting's good.  Once the radishes and spinach are out, I'll use those two rows for something else.


Cliff and the grandson mowed our yards, so I took a picture of our home sweet home while we were outside.

We had a nice weekend.  Our daughter, her husband, and her youngest daughter were here, so two of our great-grandchildren, Ivan and Amara, were here.  Cliff took them for a tractor ride, which they both love, although Ivan would have rather had his mom along.  My daughter got the cutest video of Amara leading all of us in an "orchestra" of kiddy instruments, but I guess there's no way to get it from Facebook to my blog.

The garden is prospering fairly well.  I can already see the tomato plants are happier with the warmer weather; they have started growing.  Oh, and my strawberries!  I can hardly wait.  There are blooms galore, and even some tiny green berries.


 
I'm out there pulling tiny weeds out of the patch every day.

My iris' are getting ready to bloom.  I transplanted some of them from the yard to my garden, since grass and weeds were overtaking them where they were before.


I recorded another song my parents taught me.  Eddy Arnold had a hit with the song in 1949, and that's probably about the year my parents were singing it around the house.  

At that time, the only rice I knew about was rice-and-raisins, which we had for breakfast once in awhile.  It was a favorite of mine.  So when I heard this song, I pictured people tossing pans or bowls of cooked rice and raisins at the bride.  Don't laugh; after all, I was only five years old.   

I had to look at some words with this one, because I only recalled the chorus.  I should sit in a different location when I record.  My glasses reflect the light, sitting here.  Not that it matters much to me.

   


4 comments:

  1. Your irises and strawberries look about like mine but there is no way that tomatoes would be doing well right now. It needs to warm up by about 20 degrees! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a morel mushroom season for the history books up here. We definitely have more than we can eat at this point and are giving them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with the grandson. He even took some to work to give to people.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what an extra surprise I received today. I loved the song and look forward to another.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!