Wednesday, June 01, 2022

The state of the garden in rainy weather

We are getting frequent rainy periods about three times a week lately.  Kansas City received a lot more than the two inches we got here over two days, but I think we're about to get another shower or two this evening.  Cora, the girl we used to babysit, came and spent a few hours with us yesterday and we picked strawberries.  She's old enough to be a good picker, and knows not to step on the plants.  I find it unbelievable she's barrel racing with her horse at nine years old, but she will be nine years old in August.  Last night our daughter and son-in-law picked up fish and chips from a food truck that came to our area and we all ate our fish and visited.

The forecast ahead still looks wet, with chances of rain every two or three days.  I like the rain for my garden, but it would be nice if it would dry out one day, enough for me to get in and do something about the weeds!  My vegetables, though, are growing by leaps and bounds, and there are still lots of strawberries ripening... although they'd be in better shape if the sun would shine a bit.  We can't have it all, can we?  Better too much rain than not enough, I say.

I have tiny tomatoes coming on, more every day! 

You can hardly see it, but there is a tiny pea-sized tomato in front of the prominent one in the middle, which is about the size of a big bing cherry.  These are on the Big Beef plant.  I'm crossing my fingers that there will be some tomatoes ready for July fourth. 

These tomatoes are on one of the Jet Star plants.

Here are my sweet potato vines.  I imagine in a week, they'll be vining everywhere; the rain has really done them good.

These are my two rows of peas.  I doubt if you can make them out, but there are pea-pods hanging off all the plants.  All they have to do is fill out with peas, and then I'll be a pea-picker as well as a strawberry picker... or maybe the strawberries will be done by then.  Oh, and the weather looks like it's going to be good for peas for the next ten days, in the 70's and 80's.  That means we won't be using the air conditioner for that period of time if the weather-guessers are right.

If I pick the strawberries every other day, I get about a gallon each time.  I don't think I'd ever tire of them.  I ate about a pint of strawberries, sugar, and cream this morning... nothing else!  Cliff wanted his strawberries on his cereal, like always.  I'll probably freeze the ones I get tomorrow.

I guess that's it for my garden report.  The whole world seems broken and unhappy, but when I'm at home with my husband, my garden, my cats, and my dog, I am at peace.  I wish this kind of peace for all of you.  

There's no place like home.

5 comments:

  1. Your garden looks grand! Yes, home is peaceful as long as we don't turn on the TV. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our peas are far behind due to being planted late. They haven't bloomed yet. I'm hopeful that we will get a few from them if we keep getting this someone pleasant weather with fairly frequent showers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your garden sass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home is our sanctuary, mostly. The garden looks wonderful! I wish I could have some of those homegrown strawberries. Ours have at least a couple weeks to go. Although I would rather have rain than drought, the flowers and vegetables/fruits/people need some sun too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!