Friday, June 03, 2022

Shortages, shortages

When I plant my garden, I never intend to can and freeze much of my produce.  I feel I'm doing well, at my age, to simply keep things growing that we can eat as soon as it's picked.  The exception to that would be tomatoes, because I use a lot of tomatoes.  I like breaded tomatoes, made-from-scratch spaghetti sauce, and lots of chili in winter.  I do freeze some sweet corn if I have extra, which I usually do; but never more than a couple of gallon bags full for reunions and holiday meals and perhaps half a dozen pints for us.

It looks like I'll be freezing tomatoes too.  There seem to be no canning lids anywhere except Amazon, where the price is sky-high.  I have frozen tomatoes before, and they work fine for my needs.  It seems some foreign country bought out Ball and Kerr, and they will only sell them on Amazon, Walmart, and Ace Hardware; and since they are the only ones selling them, they have a monopoly.  So like everything else, they cost more... IF you can find any.  An employee at our local Walmart told me they can't even get any canning supplies.  Here's the article I found about the shortage

Another thing I've noticed is that Walmart can't keep enough of their store brands items, especially their off-brand of round crackers.  I've bought off-brands for years, but two out of my three last trips to Walmart, they had plenty of Hi-Ho's but none of their own brand, which is about half the price of the name brands.  I'll have to stock up on store brand crackers next time I go to Aldi, because that's all they carry.

By the way, it seems a popcorn shortage is coming, too.

I felt really super all day yesterday.  I was in the garden for hours, picking strawberries, hoeing weeds, pulling weeds, and tilling in places.  When evening came, I decided to take a small walk and made it back to the pond and then to the Green Cathedral.  There was one hill that really made my knee hurt, but other than that, it was very enjoyable... the first time in ages I have walked back there at all.  It was probably only a twenty minute walk, but I was happy to be able to at least walk back to the trees.

The new header picture at the top of the page is taken from my back deck right after sunrise this morning.  If you wonder what that thing is that's sticking out of my yard a few inches like a chimney, it's where our septic tank is; just one of the things you live with, out in the country.

8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous view, Donna, and yep... we've got a septic tank too. Nothing's sticking out of the ground though so I don't know what the difference is between yours & ours. Yes, just the last month hubby & I have noticed how out-of-stock things are... especially Walmart's Great Value. It's getting really scary! Doggone, I wish I had known you needed canning lids. I practically gave away 4 dozen un-used wide mouth lids at my garage sale. Pooey. I would have mailed them to you. :-( ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wanted them here in case I wanted to can tomatoes, so I have plenty of time. And the preacher of the Baptist church I attend works at a Walmart that has the lids! I messaged his wife, and she told me he could even pick some up for me.

      Delete
    2. I didn't think the availability was the problem so much as the cost. You mentioned they cost a lot more than they used to. I sold 4 dozen un-used wide mouth lids for a quarter at my garage sale.

      Delete
  2. These monopolies are NOT good at all. Glad you've located the lids. It sounds like it was a very good day. What's this about popcorn shortage? I love popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At present, it seems to only be the movie theaters sufferering; however, the article I read made it sound as though it could go on to affect us all.

      Delete
  3. I've been buying Aldi brand Triscuits for years, but been out of stock for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:05 AM


    What a wonderful garden you have. It's larger than I thought you'd have. You have more energy than I have. There is no way I could keep up with a garden like that. My kids even had to help me plant flowers in my containers this year. I'm just hoping to keep them watered throughout the summer now. I agree there is nothing like a home grown tomato sandwich. Enjoy ! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were just at Bed, Bath and Beyond and the salesperson was telling me about the shortages too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!