Monday, September 10, 2012

Another enjoyable day

It was such a perfect morning, Cliff suggested we do another motorcycle ride, this time to Jamesport, Missouri.  We go there two or three times a year:  I like to buy popcorn and spices there (bargains) and we have been wanting some sorghum, which you can't get just anywhere.  We enjoy eating the good home cooking at the Mennonite restaurant, too.  Next time, we've agreed, we will take our picnic lunch and go afterward to our favorite restaurant and buy a piece of pie.  Notice I said Mennonite?  Yes, there are a lot of those around, too.  So I am still confused about the differences between Amish and Mennonites.  I'm pretty sure Mennonites can own cars, though, and Amish don't... although they can ride in somebody else's car.  
Yes, like most religious issues, it's very confusing to someone who isn't in the middle of it.  
Oh, I bought a couple of butternut squash for $1.25 apiece, and my usual candy (strawberry slices, shaped like orange slices).  Someone told me that Amish ladies dress in black, but I saw a lot of them today, and none of them were wearing black.  
Does anyone else my age remember the old saying that went, "Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday, mend on Wednesday, churn on Thursday, clean on Friday, bake on Saturday, rest on Sunday"?  
When I was growing up, most women followed this schedule... except for the mending and churning, which had already gone by the way.  Evidently the Amish still follow the schedule, because there was a loaded clothesline in every Amish yard we passed today.


Before we left on our ride, we went for our usual walk.  This is the time of year fairy rings are showing up in the yards and pastures.  I like them, but from what I've found online, most people consider them a pest.  Well, my crabgrass doesn't care if a few toadstools decide to pop up here and there.  They'll be gone soon enough.  
As soon as we got home, I went to check on Babe, the whiteface cow, to see if she had a calf.  No such luck, but she is getting a little concerned about my checking on her so often.  Usually I don't bother her much.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a few years behind you but I do remember that chore list. My mom didn't follow it, though, as with five kids she pretty much did laundry every day.

    You are correct about the Amish not owning cars, and they do not drive, but Mennonites can. Amish don't always wear black but they do make their own clothes and there are rules about EVERYTHING, right down to how big the stitches have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious that no motorcycle is pictured... just a horse and buggy.... hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to do the Jamesport run every year -- but haven't been there in a long time. I'd never heard toadstools called Fairy Rings -- much better name. MGW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had such a nice day. The weather here was beautiful too. Looks like our Tuesday is going to be just as good. Hope you have another enjoyable day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!