Saturday, September 01, 2012

A walk in the rain

Having dumping five inches out of the rain gauge, it is in the process of filling up again.  The rain shows no sign of letting up, so I put on a raincoat and my Canada hat, which works almost as well as an umbrella, and went for a stroll.  Cliff told me to check and see if the disked-up part of the pasture was washing.  

 It didn't look too bad on the west side. 



 I'll bet the cows are enjoying the coolness of the rain, after suffering through record temperatures all summer.  


 The pond has been dry for several weeks.  Isn't it amazing what five inches of rain can do?  


 Oops.  The east side of the field washed terribly.  This is what happens when you have sandy soil and try to farm on a hillside.  On the bright side, once this mud dries out so I can walk on it without sinking in, I should be able to find a few of these: 
I found this one in the seedbed last weekend while walking with my sister-in-law.  It isn't perfect, but it's always a thrill to find proof that you are walking where Indians once walked.

  Yep, I'll bet I find some arrowheads in a few days.  

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are getting rain but not glad the field washed out. I have never found an arrowhead. Up here everything is forested so it is a little harder I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, cool. Arrowheads. All I find when the rain washes out my place is old beer cans.

    Who knew those Indians drank so much beer? (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat Donna! We used to hunt arrowheads along the bank of the river in Cincinnati when we would visit family back there. I have never found one but I can imagine it is quite a thrill! Loving the rain over here in KS too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's still not raining in Northern Ohio but they say it'll get here tomorrow. The southern part of the state is getting some though. Hope the whole field doesn't wash out for you. It's nice to have rain but we don't get much choice on when, how much or where.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not raining here and we're getting close to a record for lack of rainfall. The good part is that it's not hot. The bad part is that I have to water the plants!! Glad to see the cows looking more comfortable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Congratulations on the rain! We have close to 2 and a half and it is raining now. We will take it!
    We would have loved to had 5 inches though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurricanes can bring some good -- once they've traveled hundreds of miles. The last two days of rain were incredibly healing for all of us in this area. Enjoyed walking with you around the farm. MGW

    ReplyDelete
  8. That muddy mess I would avoid. But finding that arrowhead had to be a big thrill, for sure. Walking in the rain sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your area is finally getting rain...I found out the hard way how far you can sink in tilled soil...had to go back in and change my pants, shoes and socks before school. Take care, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. We kids use to find arrowheads up and down the dirt road when they cleaned it in front of our house on Horseshoe Bend.We lived ver close tot he Oconee River where Indians lived.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!