Monday, September 17, 2012

Animal report

Jody seems to have mostly gotten over her limping.  Color me thankful.  Babe has not had her calf, but it looks like she has started to make milk.  It's hard to tell on a beef cow, after you get used to seeing dairy cows with huge udders. 


The cats are back to normal.  I just couldn't get all three of them in one picture.  The orange cat, Jake, is SUCH a mama's boy, she has to hide someplace if she wants to get away from him.  

Yesterday when we went for our walk, Tude was posing so nicely that I couldn't resist taking his picture.  

And (drum roll, please) we are going to buy two baby calves today for me to bottle-feed.  This means we won't be going on any overnight trips for a couple of months:  No autumn motorcycle trip to Arkansas this year.  It's OK, we've had plenty of traveling for one year, and we can always take day trips.  
Sometime this afternoon or evening I'll share pictures of our new babies.  Right now, I'm going out to help Cliff fix up two calf pens.    

4 comments:

  1. It seems there is a baby explosion there at your house. 2 to feed and more on the way. You are going to be busy there. More and more day trips appeal to me anyway. No doubt about it your Monday is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everyone is doing okay. "mostly known as Ma" is right. Day trips are a lot more appealing. You get to sleep in your own bed and shower in your own bath. Besides all that, you get to take care of babies!
    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bottle-feeding calves is tough. It is not something I care to do though I have certainly done so in the past. They're cute and all but always seem to get sick on me. I wish you much luck in this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CountryDew, I used to raise around 50 bottle calves a year, and the only ones I lost were a couple that were sick when I bought them. I have electrolytes on hand, and pills from the vet. I know how to tube-feed electrolytes to a calf that refuses to suck on a bottle. The biggest secret is, the minute you see they have scours, stop feeding milk until they are back to normal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!