Friday, April 02, 2010

Well, well

Look who's gone two whole days without blogging!  Cliff and I have been doing some road-running the past two forenoons, and I've spent lots of time outside just enjoying the warm weather and watching blooms and leaf development on my young trees.  
A couple of evenings ago, Sadie and I paid a visit to the cabin.  We didn't spend the night, only a couple of hours.  I swept literally hundreds of dead Asian Lady Beetles away.  There were signs that several mice had been visiting, of course.  
I started a fire, which was pretty stupid, with all the dead leaves around.  But I wanted to roast a hot dog or two, and I didn't turn my back for a second.  


At some point during the winter, an opossum or raccoon defecated on one of the stones of my fire-ring and left clues about his previous meal:  Obviously something very furry, followed by persimmons for dessert.  When Cliff and I are taking our daily walk, we see lots of these signs.  It appears that when animals eat other living creatures, everything digests except the hair.  


It was nice to be reminded of the times my other dog, Mandy, came to the cabin with me.  


I looked at the cup I rescued from the "ghost farm" on one of mine and Blue's visits there, back before all the buildings were burned.  Now the ghost farm is gone, Blue is gone, and I am left to remember old times.  
I don't think I'll be able to spend a night at the cabin until I get rid of some mouse leavings.  Yuck.  I did enjoy my time there on Tuesday night, though.  Sadie went running after something in the woods, enjoying herself and staying out of the smoke from my fire; I simply sat on my front step and listened to Burl Ives sing folks songs.

9 comments:

  1. I just assumed you were hard at work fixing up the hope chest. I haven't posted anything in a week. Must be spring fever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think lots of people are out enjoying the sunshine and not blogging. Things have really dropped off.
    Glad you have your cabin to get away to and think about good memories. Sadie must love it there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of good memories you have around the cabin. Great picture of Mandy and a good remembrances of the good times with Blue. I think this warm weather is great for everyone after the cold winter that has passed. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:32 PM

    Being alone...with just the sounds of nature for company...and Sadie too LOL...smelling smoke from the fire...and Burl Ives...it just doesn't get any better than this..(except if Cliff were along too LOL)...Happy Easter...hugs from Ora in KY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted a cabin in the woods for as long as I can remember. You are so lucky. Don't let a few mouse droppings drive you away. You have beautiful memories, let them sustain you in good times and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect little get away for some oh so valuable "me" time! Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:22 PM

    WISH I HAD SOME OF THOSE GOOD RIPE PERSIMMONS. sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice you could get away to your get away spot for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sound like a wonderful way to spend a day. I hope you get a lot more days like that and that soon you'll be able to spend a night there. Love the pictures you shared!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!