Monday, April 19, 2010

Fledgling house finches

I absolutely love house finches.  There are hundreds of them around here, I'm sure; but they get along so well with other birds that I have no reason to dislike them.  I understand they were originally taken to New York to be sold as caged birds, and were eventually turned loose; once set free, they proliferated.  I found that information HERE.  
I don't know where the little creatures nest around here, but it must be close; I keep finding fledglings in my back yard.  Today I went out to fill my birdbath.  As I approached, I noticed a house finch perched on the edge; even when I was a mere three feet away, he stayed there.  I sat my bucket of water down, reached out my hand, and made him perch on my finger.  I then transported him to the bird feeder so I could refresh the water in the birdbath.  When I was done, I got him on my finger and returned him to the edge of the birdbath.  
"Whoa," I whispered.  "I have to get a picture of that little bird on my finger."  
Of course, once I went out with the camera, he wasn't so friendly.  
A while ago, though, I looked out my computer room window and saw Sadie pawing at something in the grass.  Looking closer, I realized it was another fledgling and shouted "No!!!!"  
I got the camera, ran outside, and finally rescued the little fellow.  And I got my picture!  (Click to make it larger.)  


He figured out how to fly shortly after I took his picture, and got himself to a safe place.  Of course I gave Sadie a treat for turning him loose.  

7 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I've never seen one do that and we have lots of finches around our house too. Glad you rescued that little fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a very good person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Glad you saved the little one! My barn swallows are back building their mud nests under my front porch. This is year 7 for me and while I'm pretty sure it isn't the same adults-they show no fear of me or Rick-but anyone else and they fly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna..have you seen in hummingbirds out your way yet? I usually see them around the middle of April, but so far I haven't had any.
    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bird was just very young and slow; that's why I could handle him. Pat, I have put one feeder out, but so far haven't seen a hummingbird at it. It's still early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! that you didn't have to try to keep it alive. I made the mistake several times of feeding baby birds. What a chore! Must figure out how to block apps and games on Facebook. They are driving me NUTS. I now totally avoid my Facebook page because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindie2:51 PM

    I bought some natural sugar today for my hummingbird feeders. they seemed to like it last year. That little finch is very nice!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!