Friday, April 30, 2010

We'll be going to Wayside Waifs tomorrow

My qualifications for the next dog:  
1.  female (because male dogs pee on my tomato plants and flowers)
2.  short-haired  (easier to bathe)
3.  past puppyhood  (I don't like having my furniture, shoes, and electrical cords chewed on)
4.  Medium sized (Because most small dogs are rather fragile; and large dogs are too big for my house)


And that's about it.  Wayside Waifs has two dogs I'm interested in:  


Tiki is just a tad young (nine months), but I watched the video of her sitting on command for a treat, and I love her enthusiasm.  


Roxie is two years old; I like the fact that she's active, because an active dog makes our walks so much more interesting and actually motivates us to walk.  We need all the motivation we can get.  


Of course, whichever dog I come home with will be renamed Iris.


Wayside Waifs doesn't open until two o'clock, and Cliff plans to spend a long workday at his brother's farm today.  I'd LOVE to rush right over there and check out the dogs, but I believe if I am supposed to have one of them, the right one will still be there tomorrow.  I will look at other dogs while I'm there, and if I don't "click" with any of them, there's a half-price sale on adult dogs weighing over forty pounds at one Kansas City area shelter this weekend.  There are also some shelter animals in nearby Higginsville.  Somewhere Iris is waiting.   

Average Jane gave me the link to THIS GROUP; these dogs are all foster-homed, rather than put into a shelter.

11 comments:

  1. I volunteer with this group that has all foster-homed animals. You might check and see if Iris is there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. both look like great furrs! hope you click with one. which ever one, or even if another, it'll be lucky to get a forever home with cliff & you. {{ }}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those eyes say take me home. I got my last beagle from one of those places like your Wayside Waifs. Every single dog and they were alot of them were wagging their tails with hopes of a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whichever dog...she'll be very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:30 PM

    I love Roxie aka Iris!!! God Bless...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I fell in love with both of them. Our Daisy came from a foster home where they got her from the animal shelter with all her puppies and raised them.
    Of course she had already weaned them before she was put up for adoption. Looks like either one would be the perfect one. Of course if you went and looked at several you might decide on another one. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindie6:52 PM

    My granddaughter in Raymore got her first dog about 4 weeks ago from Wayside Waifs. He weighs 64 pounds and is 2 yrs old and they all love him. He looks about half shepherd and half schnauzer. He was given up because he was chewing on the former owners siding. (bored dog?) They take him for long walks twice a day and play with them in their large fenced back yard. He comes into the house and lies in Katie's other bed at bedtime until she goes to sleep and then is put in his crate. Love Wayside Waifs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for Roxie.... there's a lot of love in those eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you are getting another dog. :) Which ever one you pick will be very lucky to have you as her human.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Donna, we do love our fur babies. I shed a tear for Sadie. I'm so sorry , but I agree go find you another dog that catches your heart. Good luck :)


    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're eventually going to get another dog - I have his name picked out too. It will be Harlin - I just love that name. I can't wait to see Iris, but I know there will be pictures as soon as her feet hit the property line.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!