After Sadie visited the vet a week ago, she made wonderful progress. Her appetite still wasn't normal; she only ate about three cups of Science Diet from Monday to Friday... but her vomiting stopped and she seemed her old self. And she was starting to eat more.
Saturday we had a barbecue here, and Sadie was fed some pork bones.
Don't even ask what I think about that. She hadn't fully recovered, for heaven's sake! Plus, pork bones have made her sick in the past.
So now we're back to her vomiting a substance that looks like egg whites, (and that's what it's like to clean up, too). I fixed some rice with a little chicken broth this morning and she ate it with relish. It stayed down less than two hours. Her dissolved antibiotic pill came up with the rice. Last week Sadie would vomit, then afterward be energetic and playful. Today she is somewhat lethargic.
She will eat all the rice and chicken I give her as though she's starved, but of course I'm not giving her a lot for fear too much would make her sick again.
We sunk $100 in her last week; shall I risk another trip to the vet that will cost at least that much?
Or shall I wait it out another couple of days and, if she gets no better, have Cliff take care of the problem here at home?
Probably, if she's no better in the morning, we'll see the vet once more. He will want to run costly tests. We have the money to do this, but there is a limit to what we will spend. No need to test for cancer, for instance, because we wouldn't pay for chemo and radiation for a dog. Even one I love.
I am so depressed.