Sunday, May 18, 2008

Secret may be pregnant


My Jersey Heifer, Secret, started coming into heat regularly before she was six months old. Ideally, you want a cow to have her first calf at about two years of age. Cattle, like humans, carry their babies in utero for nine months. Since Secret was born in February, the time had come to get the deed done.

Trouble is, she's been very sneaky about her heat periods in the past two months; we've been unable to catch her in action. So Cliff gave her a shot Thursday that causes a cow to come in heat within three days. It worked like a charm, and today she was in the mood for romance.

We don't own a bull. We have always used artificial insemination for any Jersey cows we've owned. I had to call a couple of local veterinarians to locate a breeder, but I found success. He came today.

What do you suppose Secret is thinking? Something like, "I asked for a bull, I get this man with the big hand?"

Hopefully she "took" on the first try. Usually, they do.

That's the tiny "straw" that contained the little swimmers. Would you like to see the bull who contributed said swimmers?

Tada!!! Meet Sunset Canyon Maximus, the daddy of my next calf.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:01 PM

    Uh, I don't think I've ever seen a cow get it from a man before...Thanks for sharing...I think! LOL, seriously, good luck on it taking! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:52 PM

    That bull looks so TOUGH! I hope Secret is pregnant.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I think Secret would run if that huge guy came after her!!! He is gorgeous though. I hope you have a little one on the way on this first try! Will keep my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it will bear fruit...

    Little Secret or Maximus running in the pastures in 9 months time.

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is one good looking bull! Too bad Secret couldn't get the goods in person. ;-) Good luck with the calf making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:47 PM

    I hope Secret produces a nice calf for you.

    On a slightly other note...I was watching the news today...and they were reporting on a cow who was stuck in the mud and needed to be rescued. They identified her as a cow and then toward the end of their piece the lady says, "She is a female cow." I chuckled, "Yeah, usually cows are females...huh?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seeing that bull, I think the guy with the big hands would be acceptable, LOL! ;o)

    Hope she took the first time. Maybe even twins? That might get a little complicated for a first time mama, though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:42 AM

    that is a serious bull. i would not want to be the specimen collector for him. yikes.

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:59 PM

    Holy Frijoles! Is that a cow or a moose? What a monster!

    You've probably heard my rant on cows, but Jerseys are somewhat of an exception. Looking forward to pictures of the calf!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!