Friday, May 02, 2008

animal escape artists

Those two don't even look guilty, do they? You wouldn't realize they were running around the neighborhood, terrorizing folks, at 7 A.M.

I was in the middle of my bowl of Fiber One when the doorbell sounded. Now, anytime someone shows up at my door that early, I know they won't likely be bearing good news.

It was Farmer John, from down the road, asking if I had some cows out; someone had called him saying a couple of cows were loose on my dead-end road. He'd counted his cattle and they were all there.

I heard dogs barking furiously up the highway, and common sense told me that's where my two runaways had to be. I made a quick gate check and found the problem. Cliff and I can neither one figure out how the gate behind the barn got opened in the direction it was found, but with my druggie neighbors, you never know who's been messing around. Anyhow, I thanked the good Lord that Secret is a pet, and that I recently put a halter on her. I grabbed a rope and headed in the direction of the barking dogs.

One grumpy old guy hollered, "You missing a Jersey and an Angus?"

"Yeah, only he's not an Angus."

"Boy, you got trouble," he said, shaking his head. "They're about three houses down. How'd they get out?"

All this in a tone that implied only an idiot or a criminal would let her cows get out.

The two juvenile delinquents were in a back yard driving a pen-full of dogs nuts; there was quite an audience of neighbors watching, as though they'd never seen cows on the loose.

I walked up to Secret, snapped the rope onto her halter, and led her home, with Meatloaf following at her heels. Then I went to check the horses.

Ah yes, they were in the distance, grazing. But would you believe that not two hours later, they broke into the calves' pen? Geesh. I think we now have all gates secured.

We do have liability insurance on the livestock, just because of days like this.


----------------
Now playing: The 300 Member Dallas Christian Adult Concert Choir - When My Love To Christ Grows Weak
via FoxyTunes

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear all is ok in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny. I'm sure neither one of them thought they had done anything wrong. They just decided to go for a morning stroll. LOL

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:07 AM

    They are so darn cute. You just can't stay mad at them long. They were just having fun.
    Bad little cows.. :-)

    Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww.....they have to have an adventure once in a while. No harm done and it gave the cranky neighbor something to talk about.

    I just got back from riding. The river was so high I didn't dare get near it. The currents were wild! We are sure getting some flooding here in Maine, not too bad here but up north people have had to evacuate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:26 PM

    Never a dull moment. Sort of reminds me of the time this city slicker cared for her bosses livestock while he was in Europe.

    Only your story is much ... uhm .. calmer.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delinquents indeed, but they're cute! Have you ever had the urge to ride one of your cows, just to see how long it would take to get from one point to another?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got them home intact. A good friend's daughter lost a prize Holstein she'd raised to a logging truck last summer after getting loose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They definitely don't look guilty, just like children, they look really innocent when you took the picture.

    Sounds complicated to having insurance for livestock or the damages they might do.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!