Thursday, November 17, 2022

Wordle and puzzles

One thing I do early in the morning is play Wordle, right after I've read my daily portion of the Bible; if I put the Bible-reading off, it often doesn't get done, so that's first on the list... except for feeding the dog and cats.  

I wasn't succeeding very well with Wordle for a long time.  I'd get maybe eight or ten in a row, and then I'd have to start over because I didn't get the right word in my six tries.  I have a Facebook friend who seemed to have great success, and I told her she was doing much better at wordle than I.  She gave me a tip that has kept me winning ever since; my current streak is 38!  She simply told me to put the game on "hard mode".  

I thought, "If I can't get the solution now, how am I going to get it in hard mode?  It took me a bit to figure out how to do it, but I figured I may as well take her advice; she is a smart lady.  I'm glad I did.  Today I had a rough time, but I did get it in five tries.

 Wordle 516 5/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

⬜🟨🟨⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟨🟨🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I really look forward to this game every morning, and since it's only played once a day. it isn't something I can get hooked on like I have with so many other games online.

I used to do crossword puzzles in the Kansas City Star, and somehow got Cliff interested in them.  He was still doing those puzzles long after I stopped, and even had all his co-workers doing those crosswords before he retired.  I no longer take the Star, haven't for years.  I've wished several time that there was a crossword puzzle online we wouldn't have to pay for; I found one crossword puzzle that comes by email, but it uses several Spanish words, and names of many current entertainers we've never heard of, so the only way we can get them is to use Google; that's no fun, and Cliff is a one-finger typist anyway.  He'd spend half his time googling.  My library card entitles me to check in online to the Kansas City Star, so if we had a printer I could print them off for him.  Unfortunately, I have tossed out one printer after another because something always goes wrong and they won't work.  I know it's my ignorance that's the problem, but I finally just gave up on having one.

Oh well, Cliff never complains about it, so why should I?

Peace.

11 comments:

  1. The three sisters do Wordle everyday. We send results to each other. We like how it is simple but makes one think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the opposite issue. I wasn't understanding how people were not able to get the Wordle answer in six tries or why it always took me way longer to do a puzzle than them. Then it was pointed out that I had mine set to hard mode. It made me think longer because I had to obey the rules and still come up with a possible solution. I have never found out what happens if you take more the six tries. I still average about three and a half tries with a dozen or so at two and a similar amount at six. I'm still waiting for that first "one try" attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I realized that the hard mode makes me take more time and thought, because you can't just choose any random number for every single spot. They don't allow you to take more that six tries, so you can't try it anyway. Early on when I'd only done a handful of wordles my first word was THE word. I almost fell out of my chair. I'll bet it never happens to me again, because what are the chances?

      Delete
  3. I've always played hard mode and it does take longer! I also do French wordle (le mot), Worldle, Statele, Statle and Jumble Crossword daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We give my mother-in-law books of crossword puzzles at Christmas, in large print. She seems to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of that. Cliff's aunt bought those crossword books often.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:02 PM

    kappa puzzles.com has a daily free crossword puzzle, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I checked it out, and it looks like that might be just right for my husband.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:26 PM

      Sometimes it uses not English clues but not enough to spoil the game for me. It has neat options to reveal one letter or ONE word. He can always just use reveal word if it is a word that is foreign to him. I hope he enjoys it! I do! Kaye

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:33 PM

    I really like the daily crossword. It uses a few non English words but not enough to spoil the game. Also it has a neat feature to get a clue by revealing a letter or a whole word. He can always just press reveal word on the word that is foreign to him. Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do Wordle and DTC (daily themed crossword) on my phone. Hi Donna!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!