Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Recommendations

I would like to thank "anonymous", whoever she is (I'm assuming it's a woman, because 95% of my readers are).  This particular Anonymous left a comment recommending the puzzles on Kappapuzzles.com; thanks to this person, my husband is happy to have his crossword puzzles back, and I'm messing around with the daily crossword a little myself, although I haven't finished one yet.  Why?  Because I enjoy the word search more than the crossword.  It's hard to tell what else I'll find, when there are so many different word games there.  

I wanted to tell my readers about the website:  there are no ads except their own, and they're not bothersome.  If you like word games, this is for you.  I will mention that you should register with your email and a password, so if you leave the site before you've done all the puzzle and come back to finish, what you've done will still be there.  Cliff was rather unhappy yesterday when he'd almost finished the crossword, left it, and then came back to find he'd have to do it all over again (which he didn't do, and I don't blame him).  

It's less that two weeks until Cliff has his cochlear implant put in.  It amazes me how fast time flies, even in the winter season.  I'll be glad when it's over, and I'm praying for good results.  Of course, for a month we won't know how well it works, and he'll be totally deaf; then he'll get the outside thingie that makes the inside thingie work.  That's a real scientific statement right there, isn't it?

I just put in my half-hour on the recumbent bike, and now Cliff is taking his turn.  I had skipped a couple of days, and if I let that happen too much, it's hard to get back to it.  My knees do so much better when I ride the bike daily.  I can't get the friction up too high or it hurts my knees, but I can keep it at an easier setting and go faster.  This is the best exercise bike we've ever had, bought on Amazon in 2016.  It's been used a lot, and still as good as new.  It's a Schwinn, and is worth it's weight in gold to us.  I've had three or four cheaper bikes, and they don't last long if you actually use them, which most people don't.  The Schwinn keeps on going, and even if something goes wrong with it, the parts are replaceable.  We both read as we peddle, and that makes the time fly.  Cliff can't walk for exercise any more, and I can't walk as much as I used to.  Without the bike, we'd just sit around and get weaker, especially in winter. 

Well, when I started this I didn't realize I'd be advertising Schwinn and Kappapuzzles, but that's about all I had for today.  I always appreciate the people who help me out and give me suggestions.  Anonymous, I hope you're reading this, and if you don't mind, you might let us know your name.

Anonymous left a comment on this entry.  Her name is Kaye.

11 comments:

  1. That's exciting about the implant! It will be good to get it over with so you both can move forward. I love puzzles! The exercise bike seems like a god send; keeping active in the winter (or with bad knees) is especially difficult. However, if we don't do anything, every body part stiffens up which is worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the incoming implant! Follow their instructions! He could be dizzy 2-3 days, and the swelling takes a good month to diminish, which is part of the reason they wait a month to activate the device. It will be baby steps and a learning curve for another 1-4 months as his ear learns to hear again, and he can gradually have the program changed as he progresses. Soon you won't have to yell at him! Have him carry a little notepad in his pocket with a pen for you to communicate with him, or learn sign language real fast. You could also type texts to his email to "talk" to him. Hooray! Linda in Kansas (implant Feb. '21; "turned on" in March '21.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has actually become fairly good at reading lips. I've learned that when I'm telling him something and he can't figure it out, I need to find different words to say the same thing.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:39 AM

    I have a cochlear implant. It’s wonderful. But……it’s not instantaneous when switched on. The electronic version of sound takes some getting used to. I’d say it was 6 months for me before I could follow conversations properly. My brain had to relearn what words now sounded like. I very much hope it is sooner for Cliff, but this is just to tell you to temper your expectations. 6 years down the line, in a quiet room, my hearing is perfect. Fingers crossed for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as he eventually can converse with people, six months will be fine. I will tell him this, so he won't give up too soon.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link. I was able to do the crossword which I found challenging but not too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have hearing problems and wear one hearing aid. The audiologist says I need one for my left ear too. I wonder if one of those implants would be the answer for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as a hearing aid works at all, they won't give you an implant.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:54 AM

    Hi Donna, that was me Kaye that told you about Kappa. I'm happy that you and your husband are enjoying it. I have been a reader for years and don't blog but have loved following your daily adventures!! I also was so happy when someone showed me that sight for puzzles! It's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:30 PM

    Hi Donna, Kappa recommendation was me! I'm glad you like it. I was very happy when someone told me about it and enjoy doing a puzzle every morning. Kaye

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!