Friday, November 11, 2022

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat

I've mentioned before how much I hated football until the year before the pandemic started.  Somehow a coach named Andy Reid and a quarterback named Patrick Mahomes turned my life around and made me love the Kansas City Chiefs.  I still don't know much about football, but at least I learned how to tell who is playing offense and who's playing defense... although sometimes it takes me a few seconds to recall which is which..

Last Sunday night Cliff and I were watching the game.  My team scored first, but then the Titans scored, and scored again.  To make it worse, our kicker, Harrison Butker, couldn't do anything right, although he's been one of the top kickers in the NFL for two years.  At halftime the score was Chiefs 3, Titans 17.  

I could feel my heart sinking and I fell into depression; my team was losing, and I couldn't take it, so I told my husband goodnight, and Gabe and I retired to our separate beds. When I woke up around midnight, I asked the Alexa device beside my bed what the Chiefs' score was. Imagine my surprise when I heard they won!

I managed to go back to sleep, but woke up around 3 A.M. wide awake. I had to see what happened in the game, and since I recorded it on Hulu, I got up and watched the second half. Even then it was difficult to watch, with all those 250-pound men piling on Mahomes and nothing good really happening for my team. The game finally went into overtime, but the Chiefs did indeed win by three with only thirteen minutes left in the game, because Butker finally managed to get the football over the goal. Folks, I'm too old to be going through all those emotions.

I say all that to make a point: After watching the Chiefs win, I opened up my laptop and saw one of those wise little memes I'm always posting on Facebook; I'd posted it the day before, but obviously I didn't think about it when I watched our Chiefs struggling. Here it is:


 

5 comments:

  1. I have the opposite issue. I expected my team to have a terrible season and lose most their games. However, they are defying everyone's expectations so now I want them to win all the time. Not realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a little of that in me, also. Because the only reason I can't bear to watch them do badly is that I expect them to win!

      Delete
  2. I follow Ohio State as well as the Chiefs.My daughter in Law is an alumni of Ohio State and a huge one.So I follow her team too. When I was selling radio in the 80's and early 90's, I always sold the Chief's games. We had a drawing each season with boxes at the sponsors and someone won 2 tickets and a bus trip to watch the Chiefs play. We sales people had to go too to be sure we didn't lose any of our drawing winners. It was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect for my feelings about the election, actually.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!