Friday, November 04, 2022

Autumn: The solemn season

I wouldn't say I'm depressed, but I feel solemn and without humor for the most part; perhaps bemused and preoccupied says it best.  The leaves have been lovely this year, but they are only with us for a short time.  Most of them are on the ground now.  The garden that so delighted me through summer in spite of a drought is brown, wilted and barren.  

I find myself sitting and reading a lot;  I've also been trying to get my left-hand writing more legible using my Apple pencil on the iPad... whew!  Why do it, you say, when I've been writing with my right hand my whole life?  Well, not much challenges me these days.  So that's a challenge I can handle.  I'm trying to get good enough so that when Cliff has that month of no hearing after his surgery, I can write my notes to him on the iPad and delete them when I'm done.  I'll give you a sample of my writing; I'm not proud of it, but I do much better on paper.  Excuses, I know.


 
It is hard to post Blog entries when nothing much is happening.  I could tell you my dog stinks and needs a bath, but I really don't want to give him one; that didn't take long though.  

I think I'll look at the past instead.  For instance, a photo from 2005, when I watched two granddaughters before and after school each day.  We walked back to the woods one day and took a lot of pictures.  Both these girls are mothers now.

Or this, from 2006.  It's my old friend Blue and my little filly.  This was after a I went for a jaunt, riding Blue and leading the filly (that's called "ponying" the horse). I've always wished I'd kept her, just for a pasture-pet.  She liked people and was so very calm, always content to be petted.


An Arkansas motorcycle ride in 2008:


And a canyon in Arkansas we've visited several times:

Fun on the Gold Wing:

When these pictures were taken, I had stories.  Now, I can only reminisce.  

8 comments:

  1. Phinnie stinks too and needs a bath, but I don’t want to think about it. My life is even more boring than yours. Can you imagine that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent a lot of time, years perhaps, within that canyon and have never seen that sign. I wonder if it is still there and where there is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's right on Arkansas 7, and I imagine it's still there. Just Google "Grand Canyon of the Ozarks".

      Delete
  3. It's alright. Each season his it's beauty and it's bad days too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's that time of year when the season changes and everything feels heavy. The weather isn't very nice and the holidays can be stressful. Any good reading?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You wrote that with you left hand? That is amazing. I know I wouldn't be able to write that legibly. I was lucky when I had my break that it was my left humerus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna! I should have come by here so much sooner than this. That left-hand writing is really very good -- better than my usual handwriting, I'm sorry to say.

    I was convinced I needed to do NaBloPoMo this month. I first few posts were pretty original, but the last few have been close to cheating. This is good for me, though. I've been having some depression -- and mine IS depression. And making myself do something make a post each day is good for me.

    You have such wonderful, active memories. Thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Donna and to Galla Creek - hope your won't mind a comment about dog bathing .... If your dog smells of anything other wet fur ( if it's wet) there may be infection present, and you need a little visit with the vet to see what might be happening. Bathing dogs more than when they roll around in something objectionable leads to skin problems. Then you get into a vicious cycle of stinky infections, then bathing, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!