Wednesday, November 09, 2022

November wanderings of the mind

How about that lunar eclipse, the last one we'll see for three years?  I'm always up early, but I did set a reminder on Alexa in the living room telling me to go look at the moon at 4 A.M.  Later, as I went to bed, I realized I usually don't get out of bed quite that early, so I told my bedroom Alexa (actually, I gave that one a man's voice and named him Ziggy) to wake me up at 3:55 A.M. so I could shut off Alexa in the living room when I heard my reminder.  Crazy, I know.  I could have gone to the living room and told her to cancel the reminder. 

 Sometimes I don't think things out.  

Unfortunately, when Ziggy woke me up, I wanted a little more sleep.  After all, the best part of the eclipse was at 5 A.M.  I told him to stop, went to the living room, and canceled the reminder; I did go back to sleep and woke up around 5 with no help from any device, so I saw the eclipse at its best.  I must say, after you've seen an eclipse of the sun, the eclipse of the moon leaves something to be desired.  Just my opinion.

While looking for something of interest in my old "Country Life" blog a while ago, I re-discovered a singer/songwriter I had no recollection of, John Flynn.  These days most songs I put on my blog are pulled off by Youtube, but this guy probably isn't so well-known, and perhaps isn't worried about people sharing his music without paying.  We shall see.  If it does disappear, the link is HERE.   I realize most folks don't click on musical links anyhow, but the guy seems serious about making the world a better place.


We are still in our winter mode, which means plenty of naps and lots of reading.  I'm still reading through the Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt; I'm on the sixth book now, which means I have 19 to go.  I'm sure I'll want to stop for a while, read something entirely different, and then go back to Andy Carpenter.  I like my legal thrillers to have some humor in them.  He also has books besides the Andy Carpenter series.

I did take a break to read Take My Hand; it's a good book, although of the things some of the characters did in it weren't very believable to me.  I'm having trouble finding enough nonfiction for Cliff to read; he's reading the last book I chose for him, but says he's about ready for a Virgil Flowers book, by John Sandford.  That'll be easy for me, although I don't remember which ones he's already read; but he's probably only read three or four of them.  He actually knows how to go to the Libby app, make it to the library, and check out a book; but the only trouble is, he can only choose a book by its title.  I get online and see what the book is about, what kind of ratings it has, and so forth.  It takes time, and if he tried to do it it would be difficult at best. 

Since Veteran's Day is coming up, I'll leave you with a picture of my son from his Army days. 





6 comments:

  1. Having not one, not two, but three Amazon Alexa devices, you can cancel a timer on one from another. I just say something like "Alexa, cancel timer on living room echo" and she will make it so. If you name the timer or wakeup reminder, you can just say "Alexa, cancel 'full moon' reminder and she will figure out what Alexa device and cancel it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I learned something! I should have known. Just today I finally introduced my husband to Alexa. Oh, he's used her a lot, but she never greets him by name like she does me. She walked Cliff right through the procedure and I'm sure from now on, they'll be "up close and personal".

      Delete
  2. Reading: The Ride of Her Life by Elizabeth Letts
    You folks might enjoy. 🍀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss every eclipse, but I do enjoy looking at photos of them. There is a new Davenport/Flowers book out; it's decent but not great. He seems to be writing the two detectives together lately like Michael Connelly is doing with Bosch/Ballard. I'm not really a fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a new book about the Duke of Windsor I read recently. I was shocked and Cliff might enjoy it. I will post it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love that song. It has a message that really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!