Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Back in the garden

I tilled more of the garden and set out onions, so I sit here tired but happy.  I also hoed a deep row for the potatoes so I can plant them on St. Patrick's Day, and raked quite a bit.

Back when we got our first computer, I met a lot of people in a Christian chat room on AOL.  You couldn't get to the chat room directly, the way you would most of them; it was on a Christianity Today site:  We'd go to the site, then go to the chat room.  I met so many fun and wonderful people there, several of them in person.  One of them had the screen name "Qwkwit"; she and her husband lived in California.  

I once had a chat "reunion" here in Missouri, and she was one of the folks who flew in to attend.  I am not a great hostess, and I think I did a poor job of hosting, but I surely did love meeting Nance and Bill, and kept in touch with her on Facebook.  Her husband was paralyzed from the chest down, which pretty much tied her down at home, and she taught herself to photoshop after he was disabled.  When Cliff was done restoring our big 1855 Oliver tractor, she worked up a picture with various shots of the tractor and sent it to us.  Our daughter works at a photo lab that takes school pictures, among other things; so she made a metal sign from the picture and Cliff attached it to the front of the tractor.


 When he sold that tractor he found a frame to put the picture in and hung it on the bedroom wall, he was so fond of it; I'm glad, because we'll always have a wonderful memory of our special friend.

Yesterday I wanted to tell her about that, so I messaged the photo of it so she'd know how much Cliff loved that gift.

She didn't answer.  I looked at the message and she hadn't seen it yet.  I went to her Facebook and noticed she had not made a post since February 14; I knew that wasn't like her, so I made a post on her page so maybe someone would tell me what was wrong.  Her sister messaged me and said the doctors had done all they could and sent her to hospice.  

She and her husband are around the same age as we are, so obviously it wouldn't be unusual if she's dying.  But some people are so special, you don't want them to ever go away.  She had a wonderful sense of humor and an unshakeable faith in God.  I loved that lady, as well as her dear husband.  I'm praying for a miracle, but I surely wouldn't want her to have to suffer.  God's will be done.

One time I asked her to do a guest post on my blog.  If you'd like to read it, it's HERE.

I just needed to talk about her today.  Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. So many of our friends seem to be “checking out”. I’ll read the guest post now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always hard to lose a friend. Sending prayers to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such wonderful and special memories of her and that's a gift she has given you to treasure. There is never enough time. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so sorry for your sadness, Donna. We just lost an uncle and now my aunt is in hospice. It really is awfully hard to lose people we care about. Even people we blog with become true friends. Sending you a cyber hug from across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I can't help but wonder who is tending to her husband now, because I'm hoping that he is able to visit her. This is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her sister is helping with him, as well as her daughters. And thank goodness, she is now spending hospice in her own home with her beloved husband. She went home yesterday. She has a great family and lots of friends.

      Delete
  6. I suppose we have reached the age when we begin to lose old and new friends, as well as our close family members. Hurts. Just yesterday I forgot my sister was gone and tried to call her. Coming up on a year now.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!