Thursday, March 31, 2022

Why I still garden

I imagine my readers grow weary of seeing one picture after another of my vegetable garden in all its stages, but let me tell you why I go on about it so often:  At this time of my life, at the age of 77, it's the most exciting thing I do.

If you go far enough back in my blog, you will see entries about me riding my horse, Blue (yes, same name as the cat I have now, but for different reasons).  Blue and I had adventures riding down by the river and all along the country roads for miles around.  What a wonderful time that was.  Later on, Cliff and I had a motorcycle and had adventures together, just the two of us... sometimes accompanied by his sister and her husband.  Some rides were a little more adventurous than I would have wanted, but oh, what memories!

These days, adventures are few.  I find my enthusiasm for most activities has worn down, little by little.  Oh, I still have a good and pleasant life.  There are things I like to do:  read, cook meals (most days), bake cookies, go to church on Sundays, walk in the woods.  But even doing things I love, my enthusiasm for most pursuits has waned with time, with one exception:  my yearly garden.

My knees hurt more and more as time passes.  My strength is not half what it used to be, and I'm weary all the time.  But when I limp slowly out to the garden, I have enthusiasm!  I plant the seeds, and have hope they will all germinate and eventually pop up above the ground.  If that planting doesn't make a good showing, I plant more seeds in that same spot, knowing failure isn't always final.

When there's a solid line of tiny plants in each row, I have faith they will live to make a crop, and that excites me.  Later on when tiny blooms appear, I know it won't be long before I see a crop developing on the vines and plants.  And when I notice the first pea-sized green tomato, believe me when I tell you I can almost taste it already... not small and green any more, but sun-warmed, apple-red, ripe, and sweet!

Each spring when I'm ready to start tilling the sweet earth after it thaws, I tell my husband, "This could be my last garden."  

I'll be 78 in July, and I never know when my weariness and leg pain will be enough to make me give up gardening.  For that matter, who knows; my time to leave this earth could come any day.

As I think about it, maybe it's like this:  When I can't play in the dirt any more, that might be the best time to let this old body become one with the dirt.  But for this moment, I still have something to be enthusiastic about, so I look to the future each day.

At least for today, I still have a future on this earth. 

12 comments:

  1. Don's be so sure you will die soon. You still get around. I am 86 and will be 87 in December and you have a lot more going then I do. I have church, my trip to see Nancy, and my hair appointment and sometimes either game day or Bunco at the senior center. I used to walk to the post office...a matter of six blocks there and six blocks back. I can no longer do that after sitting around during the pandemic and reading for days at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say I WILL die soon, I just said that could come any day. That actually is true for persons of any age if you think about it.

      Delete
  2. I envy your ability to still garden. It used to be one of my favorite things to do. Now I only do container gardening and it's not quite the same, but better than nothing at all. I love to see the plants grow !

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so comforting in the cycle of life to watch plants grow. Finding pleasure where we can is the key to contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your readers look forward to reading your posts, as I do. Your posts are an fun interesting persoective of creativity we aren't talented enough to put into words, as only you can. Keep these stories coming! I'm just jealous of your garden. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang on to gardening as long as you can. Gives you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean! When I was young and busy raising my 5 children I didn't garden very much but enjoyed it. When the children grew up and didn't need me as much I started learning and now my children ask me for advice for their gardens. I love nothing more than watching my plants grow, flowers, trees and vegetables!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You probably have many gardens yet to plant. I'm only 67 and I've already eyed those waist high planters on legs where I could garden without much kneeling. Those might be a way to successfully harvest lettuce without bunnies eating the leaves. Just how high do bunnies hop anyway? How's the frog you found in your trench? See, we really do enjoy reading your dirty adventures! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get tired of reading about your garden. I like to hear from others on what they're growing etc. I'm sure my followers get tired of me posting flower photos. Hey, it's what I like. They're pretty and in a world that is so evil and hateful, pretty flowers and growing gardens are a retreat.

    BTW, you do not look your age at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing about your garden! I also use to love hearing about your jersey cow and how you milked her! I'm 68 and I still love learning new things. Like your turkey frame soup. I'm sure the young folk love reading these things too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy watching you and your garden. I put one in each year now after my kids grew up and moved away...haha~ Now they garden and have me look at their gardens. Its so fun to watch them and their gardens grow too. Mine does not do well, but I keep trying, just like you do. Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!