Friday, March 25, 2022

Let the Sunshine in

Finally we have a sunshiny day!  I'm really thankful for rain, but I grow weary of seeing nothing but clouds and rain with no break in it.  I am very glad, though, that we received a lot of rain for the garden.  Upon seeing the sun shining through the window, I just couldn't keep from singing an old song from 1954, written by Stuart Hamblen and sung by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans:  Let the Sunshine In.  I remember this playing on the radio (WHB) while I washed dishes on our final year living on the Glen Wyant farm, before we moved to the city.  Daddy was doing farm work for Glen, and Mother worked in town at the VanZant grocery and dry goods store.  I had the house to myself all day, but spent most of my summer hours outside roaming the woods and pastures.


We haven't done much that's interesting during these rainy days.  Wednesday we visited a ninety-year-old man who owned the butcher shop where Cliff worked in his twenties.  It was nice to catch up with him and his wife, who is in the early stages of dementia... not that we could tell.  They were both very gracious and happy to see us.  That put us in Blue Springs near Aldi, so we did our shopping.  Aldi showed signs of either hoarding, not enough employees to stock the shelves, or shortages.  Possibly all three.  

When the rain let up yesterday morning I checked on the garden, since it's been around freezing several nights.  All the radishes are up and growing.  There are tiny cabbages and head lettuce germinated.  A few peas are showing the tips of their heads, and two onion sets are showing up, green and proud.  Everything I've planted can take some abuse from the low temperatures; tonight it's supposed to get down to 29, and they should handle that too.

I grow the radishes for my husband.



It's strange the way spinach germinates.  The first two seedling leaves, called Cotyledons, look nothing like spinach leaves.  

I love how the beets come up red

So all I've been able to do with my garden lately is look at it, hoping all my little crops will be fine.  I'm afraid the 70° temperatures have spoiled our chances for peaches, because the blooms are starting to open on my tree; frost and cold stole my crop last year, and it's about to do the same this year.

I've been reading "All the Forgivenesses", and before that it was "The Girls in the Stilt House".  Both of them are pretty sad, but I loved the characters and the stories.  I could hardly put them down!  Now I'm starting on "The Maid", and I have high hopes for this one, too.

It's time to warm over our leftovers and have dinner, so I'll stop here. 

4 comments:

  1. It's always great therapy to have a sunny day and good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know beets come up red. I love this, but don’t know why it’s so amusing to me. I never grew beets. Mom and Dad did and Larry’s Granny did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing a fruit crop to a late frost is always a gut punch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so exciting to see the new growth. I do love beets and spinach! I can just imagine the bumper crop you'll be having.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!