Monday, March 28, 2022

In admiration of a cat

I've been thinking about my cat, Blue, this morning, about what a wonder he is.  He's the first semi-inside cat I've ever had, unless you count the times in my early teens when I sneaked cats and kittens in the house while my parents were away at work.

Baby Blue

All cats are a delight to me in the way they sometimes strut, sometimes glide,  and in the case of Blue, sometimes pounce on a dog as they go about their day.  I always think of leopards as I watch my cat strutting, so confident, silent, and graceful.  He was very tiny when he came to us as a gift from the grandmother of the little girl we babysat.  For perhaps a week, I shut him in the back porch and supplied a litter box, because I wanted him to know where his home was so he wouldn't get lost.  Once I trusted him to stick around outside, he never needed a litter box again.  He'll go to either door and look up at the doorknob until we let him out.  If he gets shut in Cliff's shop at night and needs to relieve himself, he will actually poop in the coffee can of sand that Cliff asks people to put their cigarette butts in; don't ask us how a cat gets in that position!

He came to us in May of 2020; I should have named him Corona, in honor of the virus!  Once he got well acquainted with Gabe, my dog, they were steadfast buddies and played tag outside and inside, taking turns at being the "chaser".   These two have been a wonderful distraction through the last couple of years of shut-downs, masks, and being stuck at home.

We have spent at least $300 on Blue, not counting cat food.  There was his neutering, of course.  But because he spends so much time outside, he has twice been pretty seriously hurt because of the old devil-cat that attacks him from time to time.  The first time he had so much infection in his back leg he had to spend a night with the Vet.  The last time he had to have have several stitches on the same leg.

Even my husband likes Blue, and he's never been an admirer of cats before.

The thing about my cat that amazes me most is his patience, and the way he trusts us.  When we had to push pills down Blue's throat, he didn't fight it.  Cliff would hold him, and I'd shove the pill in, pushing it back with my finger.  Cliff thought I'd get bitten, but that cat only laid back his ears and let me do what I had to do.  When he had some sort of mites in his ear I got something from the vet, and this time I held him while Cliff inserted the dropper in his left ear.  Blue would shake his head and lay the ear back, but never offered to fight in any way except for a little squirming as we did it.  Every evening he knew what was coming, but allowed us to doctor him instead of running and hiding.

Blue in his cat tree

Blue in the winter sunshine

11 comments:

  1. I hope your cat is a hunter, with mice his perfect prey. I’ve never had a cat. Growing up we had barn cats. Daddy gave them a little pan of milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does get mice, but his usual prey is moles. I think because there are more of them available.

      Delete
  2. I am allergic to cat dander. So, why do I have a cat? Raised him with a bottle and had to simulate the mother cat's tongue with a stiff washcloth. Once an animal has pooped in your hand, it is yours forever!! He is a joy, our Martha. Doesn't know he is a cat or male. Every time we get a new pup, he assumes the role of mother dog and grooms them endlessly. Cats are funny creatures, very aloof and self-sufficient. Martha hunts rabbits, squirrels, mice and birds. He once killed a crow! His favorite is bird eggs. Seems I raised a murderer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue is a gorgeous cat! I love their personalities and their human like moods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie! Nice he let's you doctor him up when needed. He's got the best of both worlds being inside and outside. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up on a farm full of cats. They never seemed to have a very long lifespan compared to strictly indoor cats. We just had too many predators around. I would be okay with another indoor cat and my daughters would be elated, but we just don't have any family nearby or friends close enough to come check on animals while we are on vacation and going on long vacations is part of our lifestyle we enjoy too much to give up for now. Perhaps when I am older am more comfortable with living out life close to home, I might get another cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue is one regal-looking animal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cats too. I used to have Siamese cats but Missy was my very favorite and she was a beauty. She was not Siamese though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blue is a handsome cat and he looks loved.

    I adore cats - and they're smart and clean. I respect their independent; one reason why I like them. My cat is strictly inside. We lost 2 beloved cats to coyotes. No more. Susie is used to it. She's 8 years old and is the real boss of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome feline friend you have. He is incredibly patient. And he was such an adorable kitten too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!