Wednesday, November 17, 2021

One never knows

For several years, I've wondered if I am slightly autistic.  I've taken those online tests:  Some say I'm probably not, some say I am, like the one I just finished doing.  Here are reasons I think I might have Aspergers, or some other form of autism.

1.  It is terribly difficult for me to look people in the eyes; it's even hard for me to look into my own eyes or to look at my face in a mirror.  I avoid that.

2.  Often I panic at having to make a phone call.  

3.  All my life I've had a problem using my "inside voice".  I am often inappropriately loud.

4.  I'm most comfortable when I'm alone.

5.  I tend to insult people without realizing until later that I said the wrong thing; I also sometimes interrupt people, but I never notice I'm doing it until it's too late. 

6.  I've had very few close friends.  Even when I do have a good and faithful friend, I distance myself from them eventually.  I don't do that deliberately, but when I think about it later, I know I just faded away from them and lost touch.  

7.  I've never been "touchy-feelie".  I'm fine with an old friend hugging me when we finally meet again, but I seldom initiate hugs.  I went to a funeral last week where I was hugged by three or four women I hadn't seen in ages.  They were firmly connected to my past, and I enjoyed those hugs... until I got home and realized there's a pandemic going on.  Ha!

8.  When I was a child, left to my own devices I played alone in a fantasy world of Indians and cowboys:  I was one of the Indians, by the way.  Always.  Usually I was the chief!  

9.  I can't stand noise of any kind going on for hours, and that includes music of my own choosing.  I can enjoy music for forty-five minutes at most, then it starts driving me crazy.  And don't get me started on a television that goes on constantly in the background, all day long.  SILENCE, I say.

10.  Mouth noises have always bothered me:  Chewing gum popping, loud chewing noises of any kind, constant yawns and even sneezing, if it happens more than two times in a row. 

11.  I've never "fit in" with any "normal" group. 

So there you have it.  At this point of my life, I accept myself for what I am, but I will always wonder if I'm a tiny bit autistic.  Or maybe even a whole lot autistic.




8 comments:

  1. Astute observations on your part. It's great that you're figuring yourself out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found a soulmate, Cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well they say there is a spectrum for autism so perhaps you are on one end of that spectrum. You mention a number of things that apply to me as well so perhaps I'm somewhere on the spectrum too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many more are on the spectrum than we know, and you have coped well and recognize who you are and what makes you comfortable/uncomfortable. So, you don't need a label. You're Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never hurts to know oneself and to look inward. Too many people don't. Good for you, Donna! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all have some oddities about us. I know I sure do too.
    I also agree with what Margaret said. Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!