Tuesday, November 16, 2021

It's deer season

One man got his deer on our property Saturday, and another one was killed today.  Don't pay attention to me when I still call this place "ours", because legally it's our grandson's, but when you've lived on a property for over forty years, it's hard not to think of it as still ours.  It still feels like we own it, because not much has changed.

The gutted deer shot this morning is in the side-by-side.  You can't see it because it's pretty small; I was afraid someone would think it was Bambi.  Some people are really bothered by all the pictures of dead deer that show up on Facebook in November.

I usually crawl in bed with Cliff around 6:30 A.M.  This morning we talked (I yelled, he tried to guess at what I was saying) for a few minutes, then he went back to sleep.  I found it nice and warm laying there, so I simply relaxed, let him sleep, and daydreamed.  We finally got up at almost eight.  Retirement is pretty nice sometimes.  When Aaron called Cliff asking him to come and get him and the doe he'd shot, Cliff told him, "It'll take me a little while; I'll have to put on my pants."  Ha!

Let's see, what is Cliff doing?
He didn't think I needed to take this picture, since he was only cleaning the block in preparation for the process of putting sleeves in it.  If you don't understand that statement, don't feel too bad; I don't get it either.

There's not much news to share and no good stories today, so here are a couple of cat pictures.
This taken when Blue was on top of his cat tree.
 
Gabe isn't always willing to accept his feline pal's signs of affection, but yesterday I guess he needed a friend.

Dinner is usually at noon around here, but since we had a late breakfast today, it will be at 1 P.M.  All I have to do is cook some green beans to go with the leftover ham casserole I made yesterday.  We both really like it, and it's a good way to get rid of ham.  It takes two cups of cubed ham, so when I'm taking care of our leftover ham, I put several two-cup portions of ham cubed and ready to put in the freezer for the casserole.   The recipe is HERE.  I wouldn't call it healthy, due to the amount of butter and cheese in it.  Of course, ham isn't the greatest health food either, but I throw caution to the wind and make it anyway.

I told Cliff this morning that I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to go outside when it's so cold I have to wear a coat.  Of course I walk down the driveway to the mailbox; I'm out with Gabe a few times, and I go for that slow walk in the pasture and woods most days; but I used to be out twice a day milking my cow (or cows) and bottle-feeding calves, even in zero weather.  I think I need a goat to force me to go outside and chore.  At least I used to have chickens, but they're gone too. 

That's all I have!  See, if I had a goat, I could have shown you her picture, too.  Unfortunately, Cliff has a no-goat policy.

Have a good day. 

9 comments:

  1. So Cliff does have some rules! He didn't want the cat at first either, did he? Perhaps you can still talk him into a goat? I used to run in all sorts of weather but if it's too rainy or windy now, I don't. I'm getting lazier in my old age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goats are cool and fun. Maybe borrow a friends so he can get use to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had plenty of goats before. That's why Cliff doesn't like them. :D

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoy the deer. I really don’t like deer meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't care for deer. Cliff hates deer meat after butchering hundreds of deer where he worked, and doesn't even like to look at a dead deer. The guys that got their deer on this property kept them for themselves.

      Delete
  4. Love the photo of your dog and cat together. Very cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what Cliff is talking about! I don't hunt anymore but I do occasionally have people shoot deer for me and drop it off for processing at the local meat locker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like to kill anything unless it's absolutely necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ay least you still have a dog to walk and get outside. I don't have that and they took the mailboxes at the end of the driveway too. Now I have to drive to a central place where they have a mailbox cluster to get my mail.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!