Friday, November 19, 2021

And just like that, it's winter

I realize winter doesn't actually start until late in December, but the trees have already hunkered down for their long winter nap, and our temperatures the last two nights were in the 20's.  I believe it was 38° when Gabe, Blue, and I went for our walk yesterday.  Yes, the gray cat went along, and for the first time ever, he managed to walk all the way with us.  What he usually does is walk with us to the edge of the woods, then stay there while Gabe and I go ahead.  Silly me, I usually either walk back to get him several hours later or else made Cliff take me on the side-by-side, knowing full well that smart little cat knows the way home.  I hope he decides to walk with us more often if his intentions are to come back with us.  Mama Kitty walked all the way with me and Cliff for years until age finally caught up with her; the most she will do now is walk thirty feet or so with us, then sit and watch us continuing on our journey as she licks her front paws


Those bare branches look naked now, compared to a week or so ago.  I wish I'd thought to get Blue in a picture, but he was following behind us most of the time.

Cliff is still working on the tractor overhaul.  Actually, he's telling the grandson what to do, then watching him do it.  Arick will have Grandpa memories the rest of his life from this little venture. 

We had planned to go visit Cliff's cousin Edna this week.  She broke a hip and is in the hospital in Jefferson City.  However, her daughter said she's pretty miserable right now, so Cliff's decided we should wait until she's settled into a place for rehab.  His sister, Rena, will ride along when we go; we'll have a good visit on the way, and eat out someplace after we've seen Edna.

I heard last night on the news that there was going to be a lunar eclipse at 3 A.M. this morning.  I was briefly awake at that time, but knew if I put on a coat and went out in the cold to see it, I'd never get back to sleep.  But when I woke up for the day at almost 4:30 and took Gabe out, I did see the last of it.  The earth's shadow was still covering about 10% of the moon.

Cliff and I have decided to have our own little Thanksgiving dinner here at home, just the two of us.  No stress, no personality clashes, no divisions.  I'm getting too old for all that sort of mess.  Turkey and football, maybe a good book to read or even a nap!

Peace.

10 comments:

  1. It's just like a cat to change its habits up. I hope Blue continues to walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unfortunately woke up at 12:30 and it took me a couple hours to get back to sleep so I slept through the entire thing. But like I figured, enough people I knew saw it and took pictures so I can now see it from the warmth of my home office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving from my house to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't decided what I'm doing for Thanksgiving. I may be home alone and will watch past Xmas episodes of "Call the Midwife" on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea putting off the visit to Cliff's cousin. Sometimes when you feel really rough, a visit is more chore than pleasure. When she feels better, you both will enjoy.
    I'd say poor Blue but it seems he has you trained quite well. He knows you will get him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meteorological winter starts December 1st so we're not that far off now. Your land is definitely looking like winter is approaching, Donna. We will have some yellow leaves in the trees and I'm surprised, after the wind of the last couple days, that they're not all down yet. It won't be long. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winter may be upon us before we know it. The climate is so strange anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave up and went to bed at 10:00 because I figured I wasn't going to see the reddish eclipse at 11:02 (Hawaii Time). But then I couldn't sleep until about 11:30! Darn! I should have gone out and checked it again. I was exhausted the following day. And then Hawaii people told me it was beautiful at 11:02. Siiiiigh....

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're having a very quiet Thanksgiving too with just the three of us. The fun thing is we'll have lots of turkey left-overs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband will be working his part time job on Thanksgiving so we are having ours on Wednesday - just him and I. Then on Thursday I will join with my son and his wife for the meal.

    You know, the seasons don't follow the calendars - they just do what they want. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!