Saturday, January 19, 2008

Just a brief "Bible" entry, skip it if you like

Every year I attempt to read the Bible through, by way of my One-Year Bible. I don't always make it through, but I never drop out before March, at the earliest. So I'm very familiar with the story of Joseph; he's one of my all-time favorites.

After all, who wouldn't love a dreamer of dreams and positive thinker like Joseph?

I'm reading the New Living Translation now, so it's in modern English. Maybe that's why I noticed a small detail that has escaped me all my life.

Joseph was in charge of Potiphar's household until the boss's wife falsely accused him of attempted rape. Then Potiphar had him put in prison.

What I saw today was that the jail, the dungeon, was in Potiphar's very palace!

This revelation doesn't have any religious significance that I've thought of; it just surprised me that I'd find an un-noticed detail in such a familiar story, a story that I literally grew up reading.

For those of us who love the Bible as God's word, there's always something new to discover.

4 comments:

  1. I had to look up "Potipher", but dictionary.com suggested potiphar. I learned something today. I didn't know what it was. Then again, I never heard of an apothecary until I found out about the history of the land this house sits on. Wanna buy a jar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love that new translation?! It's so much easier to read. Some people I know read KJV only but I find this much easier and you do tend to pick up new things that you might miss otherwise.

    Cliff was absolutely right! My father called and said that he and my grandfather used to do road work and that was the machine they used. They did pull it with a dozer and not horses at that point! Sure wish I had a $500 gift cert. to give Cliff from Am*azon.com like Pioneer Woman but seeings as I don't get 25,000 hits per day on my site I don't think they will sponsor me! lol! What are the chances??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost any place or situation in our lives can become a prison for us, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I can relate.
    I enjoy reading the Bible because I get a new or diff blessing each time.

    BigDadGib

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!