Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A letter from 1938

That's Daddy, Mother, and my Uncle Leo in back; and my sister and brother (from Daddy's first marriage... their mom died in childbirth). I didn't make the scene until five years after this picture was taken.

My mother kept a lot of letters and post cards written in 1938-39; it was a bad time for her. Her daddy passed away then, and I believe it was also around that period that she lost a baby boy full term. Maybe that's why she felt compelled to keep so much of the correspondence she received.

When I read these old letters, I'm made aware of how easy we have it these days. This coming recession is child's play compared to the 1930's. I don't know all the people Aunt Gladys mentioned in her letter, but it's still interesting. Especially if you read between the lines a little.

Jobs were scarce, babies died of pneumonia, and evidently turpentine was used to abort unwanted pregnancies. Let's count our blessings, shall we?
I left the spelling pretty much as it was.

Oh, the "Jack" mentioned here is my brother; when my parents first married, Daddy's aunt had raised him from a baby and refused to give him up. They didn't get custody of him until he was a young teenager.

January 3, 1938

Dear sister Lola and family

I got your letter today and was glad to get it. Hope this finds you all OK. We all have a cold and I’ve got an awful sore arm. I opened a pimple on my arm with my fingernails and infection set in. There were one big sore formed as a boil. It broke and run, and now there are more places started. I keep my arm wrapped good with poultices. It isn’t swelled quite so bad but it hurts all the time. I guess I’d better cut my fingernails off and learn some sense. Ha ha. I got a little wee letter from Ruth today. Dad isn’t feeling very well and Sadie is trying to get the county to keep Jack as an orphan child and if she gets any money you kids can sure get him.

Raymond got him a job for 30 dollars a month. He will begin March the 1st. He is working for a neighbor now. The place where he got the job is 9 miles south of Clarinda. They are sure nice folks but I’m afraid Raymond won’t stay with it. He is awful dissatisfied. Wanda Lou and Roberta are sure growing. I’ll send you the dress length for Wanda Lou, and Roberta Mae’s is about 1 inch shorter.

Yes Lola the kids would be tickled to death to get the dolls. I don’t think they could have too many. The other day Wanda Lou was in her rocking chair and she had both of the dolls on her lap and she was singing to them. She stopped all at once and gave one a little slap and said If I had a dozen like you I don’t know what I would do. Ha ha. I thought that was a pretty good one. It is sure fun to see them play. I wish you could see them now. Wanda Lou is combing Roberta Mae’s hair and washing her face. Ozel and Marie was up last night and we made ice cream. Mr. Fisher gave us a 280 pound hog to butcher. It is sure good. Wish you were here to eat a leg. Tell Everett that Sad Cooke married Mary Williams. She married Carl Cooper and they got a divorce. She has 3 children.

Verda has been sick. She had a misscarry (more turpentine I suppose) If that’s what she done it’s no pity. I haven’t heard from Bill’s folks for a long time.

Paul and Opal has another child that is very low. They don’t think there is any chance for it at all. It has bronical pneumonia. It is sure bad.

Well Lola I’ll finish this and get it mailed in the morning. I’ve got to scrub yet this evening. I scrub every day and don’t seem like I can keep my floors very clean either. Ed Lacys are wanting a job up here. They might get one I don’t know for sure. I know dad thinks we are foolish because we don’t save our money but that’s all right. I don’t care what they think or say, do you?

Just as soon as we get you paid and Dr. Propst we are going to get us a radio like yours, and in the spring I’m going to get me two new rugs. I’d like to get a linoleum for the dining room and a second handed wool rug for the parlor. I’ve got the cutest bedroom if I just had something to put in it. But maybe we can get some more furniture some day. I’ll sure be glad when we get moved in the rest of the house.

Say, you ought to live down here this fall if Everett could get a job and you could run the switch board. They sure have a time getting someone that’s any good at it. They tried to get Marie to take it. They pay $25 a month. I’d sure take it if it wasn’t for the kids. Well Lola, I’ll close. Answer soon. We sure enjoy your letters. We’ll come up when we can and say if you make them little dolls I’ll send you the postage to send them when you get ready to send them. Good bye Lola and try not to be lonesome. I know it is terrible.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I am bj and so glad to meet you.
    I love reading old letters...I have some, too, from my grandpa to his folks.
    I was born in 1937 (the very last day so I have just celebrated my
    70th birthday).
    This is going to be a fun PIE day and we'll get lots of new recipes, I'm sure. My hubby and I are like you...we try very hard to eat healthy but we do have a pie pretty often.
    Come by to see me anytime...I'd love for you to visit.
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. That letter was so interesting! Yes, they sure had it a lot worse then we do and we whine and moan around over the smallest things sometimes. AT least I do. We should be on our knees thanking God every day for food, heat, health, our homes etc etc...

    Poor babies! Good thing Secret was able to get your attention to let you know they didn't have their water. We all do things like that sometimes. One night I went up to the stable and all the horses were in except Buddy. He was running back and forth wanting to come in for his supper. I put him in and called the owner later when I got home and asked her why she left him out. She couldn't believe she had forgotten him! He must have been down over the hill grazing out of sight and didn't hear the rest come in. She said "I'll be d___ed!" She had no idea she had left him out and it had never happened before so these things can happen.

    So I had you going eh?!! lol!! I'll tell Mom that she has a new career as a trick rider and she will get a big kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again! I wanted to announce National Pie Day today too but I couldn't get to Tammy's site, it's blocked to invited bloggers only. I may try to figure out how to put it in but who knows how it will come out! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh for Pete's sake I put that on your comments instead of BJ's! I give up! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:26 PM

    Donna,

    I so agree with you how blessed we are today. I grumble and groan when the weather is so cold here in my little corner of the world ...and then I think...how in the world did my ancestors make it?

    I mean, living in log cabins, having to cut wood with axes, trying to provide food, and enough bedding to keep everybody warm? And I know that some of my family must have been really poor and more than likely just struggled to survive. And to think that I'm complaining because I have to step out onto a lighted carport, hop in my little truck that heats up quickly, etc... My husband and I don't have a lot compared to my friends but we have more than we need and always have had plenty to eat. We are blessed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "(more turpentine I suppose) If that’s what she done it’s no pity"

    Was that a way of forcing abortion? I'm confused, and showing my age. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating! I love getting a slice of someone's life.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!