Saturday, January 12, 2008

Where did I read about this book?


I remember I was reading blogs one day and came across an entry where someone was praising this book, and her description convinced me that I had to read it. I'm pretty sure it was a blog I read regularly, but for the life of me, I don't know which one. The only reason it matters is that I'd like to thank the person.

As soon as I received it from half.com, I started reading; it's one of those books that grabs you with the first paragraph. I was hooked.

Any time Cliff and I travel in the car, I read to him. It makes the time fly for both of us, and gives us material for discussion when I take a break from the reading.

Yesterday we were going to a funeral two hours from here, and although I was a third of the way through "Peace Like A River" on my own, I knew I had to share this book with Cliff. It's such a great story, so well told, that even the second time, it was a pleasure to read. Cliff can pick a book apart when the author gets his details wrong; but this one, he agrees, is right on the mark: The writer knows what he's writing about, whether he's describing Pentecostal preachers or goose-hunting or how it feels to have an asthma attack: you get the feeling he's been there and done that.

I will mark the place where I stopped reading aloud yesterday, then finish it on my own. Next automobile trip we take, I'll go back and read the rest to Cliff, unless he decides to read it for himself, here at home.

This is the best book I've read in years, and if one of you, my readers, is responsible for telling me about it, please accept my gratitude.

3 comments:

  1. Donna, Peace Like a River is one of my all time favorites. I'm a bookseller and never have a hesitation about putting it in a customers hand. Other fav's are Plainsong by Haruf, All the Pretty Horses by McCarthy, and Augusta Locke by Henderson. If you haven't read these, give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to get this book. I am always looking for good books that other people have really liked. My friend Ann that I ride with twice a week reads like I do and we have discussions about the the books that we have both read when we trail ride. It's fun to get someone elses prospective on a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't me but I'll thank you in advance for turning me onto it in case I forget because I'm putting it on my TBR list right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!