Friday, December 08, 2006

No Christmas spirit this year

I've battled wintertime depression ever since I became an adult; not clinical, suicidal depression, just a vague feeling of sadness. And it always seems to peak around Christmas.

In the past, I have made efforts to mask the feeling. After all, I have grandchildren. There were years when I'd tell Cliff I didn't want to bother with a tree, and he'd talk me into putting it up "just for the grandkids".

This year we haven't even discussed it. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the cheap-o fake tree we bought last year at Hobby Lobby. When Christmas was over, I hauled the whole thing upstairs still decorated and set it back in a corner. It was the first-ever phony Christmas tree I've had, and I hate it. Besides, one of the few things I liked about Christmas was decorating the tree, or watching kids do it. If the tree stays decorated from one year to the next, what's the point?

Because Cliff and I watch our weight now, and neither of us withstand temptation well, I haven't gotten into the baking frenzy (brown sugar fudge, Mother's fruitcake, sugar cookies) that used to lift my spirits a bit and bring back happy memories of childhood.

I haven't put a single candle in a window, nor bought one gift for anyone. I've told the grandchildren they're getting cash, and not all that much of that.

I'm not sending cards. I'm not writing a Christmas letter, although I should, since this past year was a momentous one... Cliff having had a quad-heart bypass in April. I have every reason in the world to be thankful, and I ought to be glad for an excuse to tell people about his remarkable recovery.

I haven't watched my favorite movie, "It's A Wonderful Life" at all. (Maybe I should; it might help.)

It was easier to get in the spirit when the children, and then the grandchildren, were babies: it takes so little to satisfy small children. Once they get past kindergarten age, though, kids become harder to please. Everything they want is expensive, and if you deviate at all from their list of space-age toys, they don't like what you buy for them. Let's not even talk about trying to buy clothes for them.

So, I've dropped out. I'm not playing any more.

I'm not mad at Jesus. I'm not mad at anybody.

It just isn't fun any more. So there's no Christmas at my house this year.

8 comments:

  1. sad to say I am with you on this. The smell of the real tree and the baking were big ones for me too.

    I'm pretty much always in a depression so that goes without saying... I don't know about you but I miss those good feelings..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am glad you are on blogger. i have read your aol blog for over a year. i had a counter and got rid of it i just google free counter and cut and past. hit template and down at the bottom of that page is a place to add links and you can put your counter there. i had a hard time doing links at first because i am dumb but managed so i am sure you can do it. welcome again. i live in north west ar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:09 AM

    At least you have Cliff and the kids. Last year I did nothing because it was too much bother. This year I am 'entertaining' on Christmas day. I'm dragging out the tree this week and I've got some candle burning - pine in one room and cinnamon in another. Surprisingly that works. I still thank you for telling me about St. John's Wort for the winter blues. Since then I've taken it all year round. I asked the doctor if it worked. He asked me if I think I feel better when I take it. I told him I did and he said then it works. Maybe it's mind over matter.

    Love bnana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:48 PM

    I'm with you, Donna.. I always get a bit depressed around this time of year. Like you, there will be no Christmas at my house either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:50 PM

    Hey... I don't know what happened, hut that comment above belongs to me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel. I've had these feelings before...and this year it's different w/o Dad..but I am a tad bit excited anyway, I think b/c of the memories of Christmas pasts that keep sending me forward. a few years ago, though, when Katy was about 6 or 7...I didn't want to do Christmas....well, I dreaded it...I put things off, didn't care about the tree. I finally did Christmas though and I'm sure it all worked out, but sometimes feelings change, perspectives change, and outcomes change. So embrace what you feel works best.
    I like your new blog...
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just posted about this the other day. Sad to say, if my girls were grown, there wouldn't be a big to-do around here about Christmas either.
    It seems to me that the trappings and traditions get more and more expensive, monetarily and healthwise, every year.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!