Saturday, June 02, 2012

Crawdaddies!

My friend Jessica is visiting relatives in Arkansas.  Yesterday they went crawdaddy fishing, and I am sharing the pictures she put on Facebook.


I asked her how one goes about catching crawdads:  She said you tie a piece of bacon on some fishing line and toss it on some rocks; the crawdads come out and pinch on the bacon and you pull them out and flip them in a bucket.  Sounds like fun, doesn't it?  


 I asked her if they taste like lobster; she said yes, but mostly they take on the flavor of the crab boil.  


From the line of Jessica's comments on Facebook, she seems to have seen a few snakes on her visit to her old home state.    


Here's another picture she shared:  Blanchard Springs Caverns.  


Thanks Jessica, for letting me steal your pictures.  

8 comments:

  1. We got to go to New Orleans last summer when visiting DS#2 and two of my grandsons just loved those crawdaddies. Your entry brought back a wonderful memory for me today! Hope your Saturday is a super one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. During wet springs our ditch is filled with crawdad holes making it hard to mow and weedeat. I think some people here use them for fishing bait but I don't know anyone who eats them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are crawfish farms in Louisiana and you can order them for parties. I have never done so, but I know people who have. There used to be an annual party in Denver hosted by a group of native Louisianans. It was a nice early summer party including all kinds of creole foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm... crawfish. A few years ago we went to Alabama and I got to eat Crawfish Cardinale, which is crawfish in fettuccine noodles with a white Alfredo sauce and some sort of red spice mix that was just freaking awesome.

    One of the best things I had eaten in years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I could eat them after seeing what they look like. Ugh. I do love catfish though and it's ugly too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've helped catch them in these parts but for bait only. I always wondered what they tasted like.
    Congrats on the new tractor. Should be fun doin the circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hankering for a crawdad, now that you went and showed those pictures. And a little spelunking too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow, that's a lot of crawdads!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!