Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The shoe quandary

Back around Thanksgiving, I asked for my readers' suggestions for a comfortable shoe.  The New Balance athletic shoes I have now are so uncomfortable, I can feel every inside seam where they were sewn together.  So, although someone suggested New Balance, I won't be getting any more of those.  
I may as well go ahead and tell you that I wear size 11 wide.  Try finding that size shoe in the women's section of the shoe department:  It isn't easy.  The obvious solution would be to buy a man's shoe, size 8 or 9.  But when I can get my size in a women's shoe, they just fit better and feel better than a man's shoe.  I have no idea why.     
"Anonymous Lurker" suggested I go to Nike's online store, where they still have a model by the name of our old favorites, Oceana.  Unfortunately, because of my shoe size, they don't have much of anything that would fit me.  Even if they had my size I'd be afraid to order something I haven't tried on, because Nikes tend to run a little smaller than other brands.  
Paula suggested Earth shoes.  Karen likes Aravon, but we'd have to travel quite a distance, into the heart of Kansas City, to find those.  Margaret recommends her Brooks Ghost running shoes.  
One of my most faithful commenters, Taryterre, suggests Danskin shoes.   Small Farm Girl says Asics are the only shoes that don't hurt her feet, and Pat likes her Sketchers.  Kathy suggests Rockport brand walking shoes.  
I'm going to do some online research on all the brands you folks have recommended (except the New Balance), and Cliff may be taking me shoe-shopping today.  I'll let you know how it works out.  I see there are stores at Independence Center selling some of these shoe brands.  Oh, and if anybody has a favorite brand that hasn't been suggested yet, feel free to leave a comment here.  
Don't worry, if your brand doesn't work out for me, I won't hold it against you.  

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:29 AM

    I have horrible foot problems and I swear by the Dr Scholls shoes from walmart. Dont let the low price fool ya, they really are comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a pair of comfortable shoes makes a world of difference. I hope you find your perfect pair today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't worn a "shoe" in years. Since I have bad ankles I always wear at least medium height hiking boots. I have a favorite pair made by Ozark Trail that have lasted me for almost fifteen years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Don't know if I'm the Pat that suggested Sketchers, but I love mine!! I have been wearing the exact same Sketcher for years. Have tried different ones and they kill my feet. Had a bad heel 20 years ago and if I change to a different brand of shoe, my heel starts hurting. Pat/Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be interested to hear what you end up with! I tried wearing Nikes, but they are too narrow for me. The Brooks work well for my foot, which is a size 7 and a bit on the wide side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney and I are thrilled with a Nike running shoe... better than any other Nike I've ever had... amazing support on the arch... fit my feet like a glove. Difficult to put on, but well worth the effort because like walking on air. These have netting on the outside and the sole sort of curves up a bit at the toe. The sole is wider than the shoe. I did not think I'd like them... but turns out they are my favorite pair of all the tennis shoes I've ever had in my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your shoe shopping adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finding shoes that FIT and are comfortable is a daunting task. I wish you luck. I wear a size 5W. There's no such thing that I can find, so I have to get a size 6W instead. That means my shoes are always BIG on me. My daughter has two feet that are different sizes and she has to buy the size 8, instead of the 7. She has wide calf's so she tends to buy men's boots and sneakers cause they fit her better. I'm glad you won't hold it against me, if you don't like the pair I recommend. LOL Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the shoe shopping. I do love my sketchers. I can really tell the difference if I don't wear them for a few days. I have plantar fastisis (sp), and ankle problems, and they do help my feet. I'm the Pat who suggested Sketchers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank ya, thank ya, thank ya. Now I don't feel like such a loner. Someone else wears an 11 wide shoe. In younger years, I wore a 9....then that turned to a 10. Lordy, now its an 11 wide. Not very dainty if I must say. Luckily, we have a specialty shoe store, right here in Northfield. i can get a decent shoe there, even a pair nice enough to wear to a wedding.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!