Thursday, December 04, 2008

My latest Facebook addiction

Thanks for all your input on my previous entry!

Now, on to lighter subjects: When I was a child, one of my favorite Christmas gifts was a farm set consisting of a barn, fences, animals, and other things that make up a farm. I liked making pens and putting pigs in one, cows in another. So when friends on Facebook (mainly my daughter) started sending me horses, cattle and chickens for MyFarm, I decided to check it out.

You start out with a little pretend-cash ($2,000 I think?) which supplies you with funds for plowing, buying seed, and planting crops. Crops are harvested in one, two, or three days, depending on which crop you choose to plant. If you forget to harvest on time, the crop is ruined. You can also harvest fruit from your trees, which I didn't realize until my daughter told me the other day.

Here's how my farm looked a week ago. You can buy animals and trees, but the best way to get those is to have your friends give them to you. You send your MyFarm friends something and hopefully they send you something in return. This is free to both the giver and the recipient.

Those blue areas show a rice crop I planted the other day. Rice, I believe, takes two days until harvest. Since then, I've gotten more industrious, though, and planted a much larger area.

Isn't that an impressive crop? The reason I've gotten so industrious is that for 50,000 MyFarm bucks I can buy a barn, and then I'll be able to sell animals. For $25,000 I can buy a chicken house, and eventually sell eggs. So I'm planting bigger crops in order to bring in more cash! Once I harvest the crop you see here, I should be able to afford a barn.

I figured since I'd told my readers about YoVille recently, I had better tell you about this application. I think I actually prefer this one; it takes me back to my childhood play-farm.

I figure if there's a total crop failure, the government will bail me out. Right?

It's nice to be retired and have time to play silly games on the computer.

If you should decide to start a farm on Facebook, let me know and I'll send you some animals and trees.

9 comments:

  1. I am city slicker, so I don't really understand how the Farm works. Thanks for the plants and animals that you sent me, but from the looks of it right now, my plants are dying and my animals, well....

    The Humane Society might come after me, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL donna it looks like fun, but I'm afraid, i've no more time in my life for VR farming......:)
    loopy

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, NO, NO! I am NOT getting sucked into this! LOL! It's way too easy for me to spend hours on stuff like that...I bought one of those Webkinz for my grandson and I got one for myself so I could sign in and help him out if he had problems.... Now I think I spend more time with mine than he does with his. I just decorated a room for Christmas last night... and of course they have to be fed, and I have a garden, and..... yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a lot of fun! Rob plays Simm City and builds cities sometimes... I think it is interesting what happens... all the things he builds and stuff to attract Simms to move in so the city will grow. Then these disasters come and wipe everything out. Then he gets mad and starts talking to the screen as if they can hear him LOL.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you send me an animal? I am on there now Linda Wheeler. Not sure how you look for me exactly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL It looks liks sooo much fun, but I just don't have the time to play. ENjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just spent 5.000 tokens or was it 10,000 to buy a mutt dog. I really don't care the price 'cause I wanted it.lol If we have to be older we might as well have fun doing it, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wondering if you know how to get fences...I saw somewhere at some time that you could buy fences to fence your animals...not sure if this is true, but I can't find anything about it on the net. For any of you that are running out of room, and need more space, you can go to http://tinyurl.com/67fl57 to upgrade your farm. Please send animals and plants!!! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:26 PM

    Strawberry's have the highest profit to investment ratio for the crops. The fastest way to make money is to use all your money to plant strawberries until your entire farm is covered (all 225 squares. Keep planting strawberries until you have $35000 on hand. At this point you can plant your entire farm in tomatos, which have the highest profit per day. After planting tomatos for a few days you will have enough cash to buy a barn, woodshed, chicken coop, etc...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!