Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I've been tagged!

I’ve been tagged by Neila, of Blog That Mommy. She’s outrageous, she’s funny. She reminds me a lot of my friend Tracy, with whom I used to ride to work. Only Tracy wasn’t a Passion Party consultant. But it sounds like something she might enjoy doing.

For this meme , you list seven songs or CDs that you have listened to lately and then tag seven people.

This one’s so easy, I won’t feel too guilty tagging folks with it.

“We Shall Overcome” sung by Pete Seeger
“We’ll Meet Again” sung by Johnny Cash
“I’ll Take My Sorrow Straight” written and sung by Iris Dement
“Does Jesus Care” sung by the 300 Member Dallas Christian Adult Concert Choir
“Custer Died For Your Sins” written and sung by Floyd “Red Crow” Westerman
“White Winos” written and sung by Loudon Wainwright III
“To Beat The Devil” written and sung by Kris Kristofferson, to which I include the lyrics because parts of it ring so true:

If you waste your time a-talking to the people who don't listen
to the things that you are saying who do you think's going to hear?
And if you should die explaining how the things that they complain about
are things they could be changing, who d'you think's goin' to care?

There were other lonely singers in a world turned deaf and blind who
were crucified for what they tried to show,
And their voices have been scattered by the swirling winds of time,
'cause the truth remains that no-one wants to know!

[Voice: Well, the old man was a stranger, but I'd heard his song before;
back when failure had me locked out on the wrong side of the door;
when no one stood behind me but my shadow on the floor and lonesome was more
than a state of mind. You see, the devil haunts a hungry man; if you
don't want to join him you've got to beat him. I ain't sayin' I beat the
devil, but I drank his beer for nothing, and then I stole his song!]

And you still can hear me singing to the people who don't listen
to the things that I am saying, praying someone's going to hear;
And I guess I'll die explaining how the things that they complain about
are things they could be changing, hoping someone's goin' to care.

I was born a lonely singer and I'm bound to die the same
But I've got to feed the hunger in my soul;
And if I never have a nickel I won't ever die of shame
'cause I don't believe that no one wants to know!


I tag Toonguy, Celeste, my son Jim, my daughter Rachel, Amy, Faye, and Jackie.
That list of people is as varied as my list of songs.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Donna!! I haven't heard some of those songs in ages. I grew up listening to Johnny Cash!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:07 AM

    You got it!! Just don't be upset if I put my own little spin on it.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!