Tuesday, October 22, 2024

SCORE

We're out here in the country, one and one-half miles from the town of Wellington.  There are farm cats everywhere, and some friendly unwanted strays in town, too.  I had a feeling if I went to the Wellington page on Facebook, I would find my cat... or cats.  There were several folks offering kittens, but some were a little older than I wanted.  My daughter in Wellington has some feral kittens she's feeding, but they aren't tame.  One person put a picture of two beautiful little calicos, but somebody else took them both before I could answer.

Finally, though, a lady about fifteen miles from our house said she had kittens, and they were tame, thanks to her children playing with them.  Two were beautiful calicos, but she wanted to keep them.  That left two orange boys and one not so striking calico... Cliff said she was ugly.  I decided I wouldn't judge her by her color and brought them home in a cat carrier.

I put the carrier with the kittens in it in our small back porch with a cat litter box full of fresh litter, a dish of food, and some water.  I wanted them to get used to this place on their own terms, so I opened the carrier, left the porch room, and watched through the window on the house-side of the porch.  It took them awhile, but one, and then the other, came out slowly and carefully.  It was obvious from the beginning that the boy is going to be leader of the pack.  They found the food, and he tried his best to crowd her out!  Brotherly love... ha!  I have to get some cat dishes for them.  

They both toured every inch of that room, then settled down.  That's when I opened the door to the rest of the house, and at first they were scared to see that there was more to this place.  But the boy, now known as Butch, leads the way in every scary situation; then his sister follows.  I didn't really bother them, I just watched.

Gabe hadn't met them yet because he was at the groomers', so it didn't take much time for cats to get friendly with us.  I hated the fact that I had moved Blue's cat tree to the garage for him to use, because it was so dirty.  But I brought it in and vacuumed it the best I could, and when they finally realized how high they could climb, it was a regular circus, and that's where they spent most of their time!

When we got home with Gabe, I took him on his leash to see the kittens so he wouldn't scare them, but that was a joke.  The cats stood their ground and let him know they could kill him if he came any closer.  He took the hint.  He likes cats, although he is jealous if he thinks they're getting too much attention. 

The cats are now well acquainted with us; we will see what this day brings.  Oh yes, when Cliff called the little girl cat Ugly, I said, "Oh no she isn't; she's Unique, like me!"  So that's her name, although I will likely just call her Neek, or Neekie.  Yes, it's a silly name, but I like it.

Unique may not be the brightest kitten.  She thought the litter box was a bed when she first came.



Wish us luck.  I will be making an appointment with the vet today to get them started right.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:36 AM

    I like them both. I’d have a cat but I feed so many birds I doubt it would work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like unique pet names so Unique and Butch certainly sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:02 AM

    They are beautiful. Neekie looks more like a 'tortoise or tortie" than a calico but it can change as she gets older. They are lovely. love from Auntie Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Awww they are so cute. I am glad you have some new furbabies to love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:10 PM

    You’ve made me smile again ! And I like her name. Dee from Tennessee

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!