Thursday, May 09, 2024

Strawberry time

Cliff and I have had strawberries on our cereal for three days straight.  We also had strawberry shortcake once already, and the berries are just getting started.  Here's what I picked this morning:

This is before I washed them, so they have dirt on them, thanks to all the rain we are (thankfully) receiving.

I have a small patch on the southwest corner of the garden; these planted themselves by crawling over the old strawberry bed.


And another on the southeast corner; I moved and planted those myself, carrying new plants from the old site.  There would have been more if it had rained last year.  Look at that bright red berry on the end.

If you have never tasted home-raised strawberries, you're missing out.  When strawberries are raised commercially, they choose a version of strawberries that are very firm, so they can travel well; they are never as naturally sweet as home garden berries.  For a couple weeks or so, we are eating a breakfast fit for royalty, putting two cups of berries over one cup of cereal.  I add a little cream to our two-percent milk, also... and yes, some sugar, but not much.

Riverbend Ed, if you are reading this, I will tell you that my parents planted "everbearing" strawberries one time in their long lives.  My father said they had very few strawberries compared to the June bearing varieties.  Since my mom needed plenty to freeze and plenty for jams, my father tilled out the everbearing after that one year.  I'll be anxious to see how you fare with yours.  I wouldn't mind trying them myself if they work for you.  

I shouldn't have planted this many tomatoes

Those closest plants are Yukon Gold.  I did a bad job of planning my garden this year, and I also had some failures, what with hail, wind, and pouring rains trying to defeat my plants.  There is a row of later red onions beyond those peas yonder.  I transplant cabbages in any little space I see.  

I set out a few cantaloupe plants a month ago, but because of wind and hail, they are just now starting to prosper.  It's the same with the four sweet potato plants, the peppers, and the eggplant.

Every year is different, but I always get lots of pleasure from my garden.





5 comments:

  1. My wife planted some of the every bearing strawberries in our previous garden but they never seemed to produce enough to do much with them other than snack on them. This time we have about four times as many plants so we shall see. I was raised up with the bumper June harvest type berries and my mom turned them into lots of jams and froze others for future use. As I said in the comments of my blog, it is a battle I let my wife win for now. I'll make a note to update you on future thoughts on them.

    Your Yukon potatoes look nice. Mine are about half that size right now. I haven't yet set out my tomatoes but might do some this weekend if time permits. I plan to use your method this year of putting in a fence post within the cage to hold it upright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can always learn from one another.

      Delete
  2. I have the everbearing too and only got enough to snack on. I only have a couple plants though. You are so right about the homegrown strawberries. They are usually smaller but with much more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Laura went picking and I got 4 quarts. They are so good. You get more too. Those big ones fill up the box fast. Bet yours are heavenly. Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used potato bags this year. I have such limited space that sits in the sun. I proposed that HeWho rent an excavator and turn part of the ravine into tiered garden beds. Now that I think about it, he never responded, just stared at me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!